Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Racism is the idea that your race is superior to another. Overt racism is acting out your life as if your race is superior to others, and this is especially dangerous when it's backed by power: political, religious, military or otherwise.

To say that some leaders on the outside appear to have their black constituents' cares at heart, but that, on the inside, they are beholden to the interests of white society, is not necessarily racist.
    That is not the traditional use of the slang term "Oreo," which is levied to ridicule blacks who "act white." It's a race-based slam to shame blacks into acting "black."

At best, he's a dumbass for using "Oreo" when he meant "Uncle Tom." But I find this pretty racist, personally.

As far as defining racism, I agree with good ol' Webster's Dictionary:

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination
    If a white person admonished another white person for "acting black," that would be racist in my book as well. The notion that blacks can't be racist is terribly patronizing.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-01-13 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    If a white person admonished another white person for "acting black," that would be racist in my book as well. The notion that blacks can't be racist is terribly patronizing.
    I don't see black racism as being rooted in theories of black racial superiority, so I'm going to have to say it is bigotry. In some cases, it may rise to the level of cultural chauvinism.

Thanks for your two cents, Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't see black racism as being rooted in theories of black racial superiority, so I'm going to have to say it is bigotry. In some cases, it may rise to the level of cultural chauvinism.

Thanks for your two cents, Tex.
    Yes, I definitely say this when I'm trying to explain to people why BET and Miss Black USA or BlackPeopleMeet.com isn't racist...

This feels different though but it depends on your definition of racism, of which there are several.

Ugh, just hate that term "Oreo." My best friend growing up liked alternative rock music instead of R&B/hip hop and this group of guys terrorized her over it in high school, mainly using this term. I'm probably just having angry flashback reactions, lol. "Uncle Tom" has a legit use [[although way overused) - this is just an ugly insult amongst black people.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-01-13 at 04:28 PM.