Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I've been saying for years that if I had a ton of money, I would invest in downtown just out of civic pride. It's nice to see someone with the means actually doing what I dreamed of for myself, lol.

If it's not already clear, it seems even more likely that Gilbert wants to be seen as the savior of downtown Detroit [[like Ted Turner is seen as the savior of downtown Atlanta). He keeps getting wealthier year-after-year, so he has the money to spend. Hopefully this all actually makes a difference and other investors will be encouraged to develop. Because multiple investors will be a real sign of change and interest in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    He keeps getting wealthier year-after-year, so he has the money to spend.

I think he's actually the richest man in metro detroit. Surpassing Mouron, WC Ford Sr, Taubman, Illitch, and Penske.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I think he's actually the richest man in metro detroit. Surpassing Mouron, WC Ford Sr, Taubman, Illitch, and Penske.
    Not quite as rich as KMK though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I've been saying for years that if I had a ton of money, I would invest in downtown just out of civic pride. It's nice to see someone with the means actually doing what I dreamed of for myself, lol.

If it's not already clear, it seems even more likely that Gilbert wants to be seen as the savior of downtown Detroit [[like Ted Turner is seen as the savior of downtown Atlanta). He keeps getting wealthier year-after-year, so he has the money to spend. Hopefully this all actually makes a difference and other investors will be encouraged to develop. Because multiple investors will be a real sign of change and interest in Detroit.
    Ted Turner is not seen as "the savior of downtown Atlanta". The 1996 Olympics saved downtown Atlanta. Ted is remembered as the man who brought the world famous World of Sid & Marty Croft to the Omni [[now CNN Center - sarcasm), managed the Braves for one game behind the bench, made Andy Messersmith the 1st free agent in major leage baseball, founded Channel 17 cable, and married Hanoi Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Ted Turner is not seen as "the savior of downtown Atlanta". The 1996 Olympics saved downtown Atlanta. Ted is remembered as the man who brought the world famous World of Sid & Marty Croft to the Omni [[now CNN Center - sarcasm), managed the Braves for one game behind the bench, made Andy Messersmith the 1st free agent in major leage baseball, founded Channel 17 cable, and married Hanoi Jane.
    I wasn't saying he's ONLY known for starting the downtown Atlanta turnaround. Obviously he's better known for other things. But Atlanta was already on it's way when the Olympics were held in 1996. As far as I understand, Turner's initial investment in downtown Atlanta is credited as being the catalyst for a turnaround.

@Gannon - I agree with you on the parking issue. I am always shocked at the number of people that think it's okay to block a lane of Woodward downtown. I understand delivery men don't want to walk to a building from blocks away...but it is maddening when I see delivery trucks or cars sitting in the right lane.