Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^Yep, men still come out on top [[if the reasoning is about equality----)

Very few men will complain if a transgendered/ female-to-male or any woman for that matter use their lavatories/ bathrooms!

But how's about the other way around?

So much for the progress.

More women are becoming WOKE to how this is eh' working out!
    Setting aside the sports thing for a moment........

I don't really get the reasoning behind washrooms being sorted by sex in the first place.

In your home, presumably, mom, dad, brother, sister, husband/wife all use the same facilities.

Its easy enough to address privacy concerns by extending stall to the floor and having the come close enough to the ceiling that no one is poking their head or cell phone over for a peek.

People can wash their hands at the same sink fear of violence or moral calamity.

Its much more efficient to run unisex washrooms, that way you don't have complaints in workplaces or concert/sports venues when crowds skew towards one sex vs the other.

I should add, Toronto is inching in this direction, as of now, all new community recreation centres in Toronto have universal change rooms. [[no not showers); but changing areas are private for each person, and you're expected to be clothed/swimsuit in any common areas.

In respect of sports the difference in physical ability as it relates to higher muscle mass of males in particular [[along w/size/reach etc.0 is the reason for making the sexual distinction in sport.

Not all sports make meaningful distinctions.

[[Boxing/Wrestling use weight classes, but track and field makes no differentiation based on height/leg length)

That said, in general, where distinctions on sex are removed, it will severely limit female participation at the top levels.

I think how you address this is predicated on what you believe high-performance sport is about.

If its about encouraging participation and promoting physical fitness, there should be more distinctions [[weight class, height etc.) rather than fewer.

If its only about Higher, Stronger, Faster for humanity, then remove all the barriers and the consequence be damned.

I have an open mind on the subject, but expect most would prefer to maintain or increase distinctions rather than abolish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I don't really get the reasoning behind washrooms being sorted by sex in the first place.

In your home, presumably, mom, dad, brother, sister, husband/wife all use the same facilities.

Its easy enough to address privacy concerns by extending stall to the floor and having the come close enough to the ceiling that no one is poking their head or cell phone over for a peek.

People can wash their hands at the same sink fear of violence or moral calamity.

Its much more efficient to run unisex washrooms, that way you don't have complaints in workplaces or concert/sports venues when crowds skew towards one sex vs the other.
    The reasoning behind separate washrooms probably has a lot to do with the perceived safety of women. I wouldn't want my female relatives to go into some washrooms where there are all guys and no women hanging around even if they couldn't see into the stalls. Imagine women doing things they do in front of mirrors with some guys leering. That's another thing. If I just want to rinse my hands and get out, I don't want women blocking the sinks preening themselves.

There are situations where separate facilities make no sense. My former mechanic in Rapid City, MI built a car repair shop. He griped that the building code required a men's and women's bathroom as there was seldom more than himself in the building. At large outdoor festivities, port-a-potties are lined up and no one thinks too much about who used them previously unless some guy didn't lift up the seat.

As you mentioned, crowds do skew to one sex or the other. That problem could partially be handled wth a middle section that could be opened to either the men's or women's side as needed. Highway rest stops often have restroom overflow areas so one part of a bathroom can be cleaned.

"Family" bathroom in big department stores make a lot of sense too. They are kind of a catch all for parents with multiple children, an overflow for overcrowded or bathrooms being cleansed, and a place for those who might be uncomfortable with there only being two sexes.

In France, after paying to use a bathroom, sometimes there were female cleaners mopping in the common area behind guys using the urinals. Somehow, that was considered normal but men and women used separate bathrooms.