Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit has oodles of groceries stores, not the corporate chains like Kroger's Whole Foods, Meijers, Shopper's Market ect.. Detroit just has classic mom and pop Chaldean owned Spartan Supermakets. They are the ones keep the mostly black community afloat while white owned Supermarket Chains stay in the suburbs. We should the thank the Chaldeans to doing their part in the ghettohoods of Detroit. They can take the blights and customer fights all the time.
    You have to be joking. These moms and pops Chaldean markets add to the blight and decay of Detroit. They sell outdated products, bad meats produce, and very poor customer service. The city had always been laxed in sending inspectors to these markets and stores. Someone who work in city government is getting paid under the counter not to send inspectors out to these stores.Once Detroit becomes a majority middle class city again you will see a deline of Chaldean owned markets, liquor stores, and gas stations. Now that Detroit is predominately black, it will stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    You have to be joking. These moms and pops Chaldean markets add to the blight and decay of Detroit. They sell outdated products, bad meats produce, and very poor customer service. The city had always been laxed in sending inspectors to these markets and stores. Someone who work in city government is getting paid under the counter not to send inspectors out to these stores.Once Detroit becomes a majority middle class city again you will see a deline of Chaldean owned markets, liquor stores, and gas stations. Now that Detroit is predominately black, it will stay the same.
    Few Chaldean owned supermarkets in Detroit ghettohoods sell poisons to the black community, but not all. If all of them did, their stores would be burn down without reason or why. It happen to some Chaldean owned stores in Detroit. Therefore they have to be very careful while doing business in the Black community.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

When opening a business a black community, be a SOUL BROTHER or no brother.

Neda, I miss you so.

How can one evern respond....if it wasn't for the immigrant grocers ..many of the things our country stand for would be a sham... It has been always the occupations ...does any on eever ask what these people did in the old country? Yes I am aware o fthe stereo type...ARab grocery...Korean Grocer...etc. well how do you expect these people to enter our society.. I know many Pita Palces that are run by Doctors an dEngineers...who can't practice here so they make a livinf somehow....
    yes there has been parasites hurting the poor communities...but there have been som ewho are willing to start business in areas where mainstream refused to do... I have seen the problem played out in many cities... Local banks need to help establish locally owned business w/the sam e committment to majority customers...but there are standards that need to be adjusted to give minority ownership a fighting chance.

I worked with local churched to support a grocery store in what we call "food deserts"...after being robbed a few times they were ready to give it up...until th ecommunity an dpolice got together to support it...Church shopping days...citizen patrols and all theold folks coming to gether to shop there..it turned a potentially bad thing into a community thing...the result...our kids get fresh meats an dveggies...vs buying spam at the 7/11

Are there any stores located in Detroit that carry organic produce or naturally raised/organic beef? I wouldn't mind doing some shopping in the city on my way home from work sometime.

Fury13- Kim's sometimes has organic produce [[had canteloupes last week) and a lot of organic foods from Eden & other producers. She is working on getting organic meats, but it's not offered at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Fury13- Kim's sometimes has organic produce [[had canteloupes last week) and a lot of organic foods from Eden & other producers. She is working on getting organic meats, but it's not offered at this time.
    Great, thanks for the info.

neighbor Guest

.Once Detroit becomes a majority middle class city again .......

No.... you must be joking.

DetroitPole Guest

You imply that being middle class and black are mutually exclusive.

Detroit has over 80,000 households earning over $50,000. You bet your ass the vast, vast majority of them are black. Given that they are households, that is a far greater population than most of the inconsequential suburbs of Detroit.

Then again, you could come to my majority black middle-class neighborhood and explain to them that when the city becomes middle class again, as opposed to predominantly black...

I really enjoy Harbortown Market on Jefferson. Good selection, ok prices, clear. Have never seen bad food. It's not a super-store, but it's not really a small market, either.

Reopened earlier this year after a fire:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22285369/detail.html

I also have no problem driving 15 mins to Allen Park to Meijer, Target, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, etc. I do a lot of shopping at once there, and I can get there from Lafayette Park faster than I could get to the similar selection of stores on the north end of Port Huron when I lived in the southern part of that city!