Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Disappointing.

Thought maybe I'd get 50/50. Sad that most posters can't see past their hatred of the police to see the real pain of life in the ghetto.

I have been 'stopped and frisked' by DPD, and I didn't like it. But I think we owe good policing to all residents.

Aussie -- the core areas are thriving. After years of underinvestment and interest, the energy and excitement for the urban core is amazing.

The bulk of the peripheral neighborhoods are where the inefficiencies previously covered up by revenues are taking their toll. I worry about the vast majority of the city.

Overall, things are better in Detroit than what you hear. But there remain massive problems to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Disappointing. Thought maybe I'd get 50/50. Sad that most posters can't see past their hatred of the police to see the real pain of life in the ghetto.
    Wow, man. You're really one messed-up dude. I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I know, right? Let's all say a silent prayer for Wesley.

When you go fishing, don't bitch about what you catch. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post

I don't agree with Wesley's proposal. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Detroit and Detroiters have been doing plenty of fishing ourselves for the last few decades.

I'm not really thrilled with the fish we've been catching.

What's amazing is that the same people who ask silly ass questions like "should Detroit have stop and frisk?" will turn around and wonder why people like Kwame Kilpatrick and Joanna Watson -- people who are basically elected by how vividly they can express their distrust of outsiders -- resonate with Detroit voters.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What's amazing is that the same people who ask silly ass questions like "should Detroit have stop and frisk?" will turn around and wonder why people like Kwame Kilpatrick and Joanna Watson -- people who are basically elected by how vividly they can express their distrust of outsiders -- resonate with Detroit voters.
    It is an example of Newton's first law being applied to humanity. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Thanks for your concern. But I'd appreciate an Anglican ceremony to a silent prayer.

In the meantime, NYC is improving the quality of life for its poorer citizens that Detroit doesn't have or even consider. Carry on, and I'm listening for your prayers.

Thanks for your concern. But I'd appreciate an Anglican ceremony to a silent prayer.

In the meantime, NYC is improving the quality of life for its poorer citizens that Detroit doesn't have or even consider. Carry on, and I'm listening for your prayers.
    Have you ever even been to New York?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's amazing some of the garbage always offered upon black populations and communities in this country.

Stop frisk and harass with no suspicion of crime.

Military patrols treating the citizens of a city like foreign combatants.

Restrictive curfews.

All bullshit security theater that doesn't even work.

And yet if you even whisper about introducing measures that might stem the proliferation of firearms in this country, people start hemming and hawing and getting incredulous.

The rights of manufacturers and sellers of deadly weapons are more respected than certain human beings in the eyes of a significant portion of this country.

And people are supposed to be civil and polite when engaging this nonsense?

Overall, things are better in Detroit than what you hear. But there remain massive problems to be addressed.
    I would have to disagree. Have you driven though the east side lately? Aside from a few good things happening in a few areas/neighborhoods, large parts of the city look worse than ever.