Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I've never been to Portland, nor do I have the resources to go to Portland, but I've been touring Portland via google streetview and I can't believe this comparison is even being made. Literally within blocks of downtown, you have winding roads through suburban neighborhoods with single family homes on what would be equivalent to 3 Detroit lots. Portland was designed like a suburb. Where in Detroit did you ever see wooded country roads like this?

Brightmoor.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bright...=12,30.52,,0,0

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    LMAO...that isn't a designed country road. Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    LMAO...that isn't a designed country road. Nice try though.
    Looks the same to me! Now this whole arguement is kind of silly. It is introduced as land use, but in effect it is not land use. The topic seems to be density. To Piggy back on Philly comments in hopes to steer this the right direction: Philly is a city with a lot of its land reserved for transportation uses. These include ports and airports. It also had large parks. Much of its population lives in multi-family or attached housing. This affords it better access to public transit. The public transit has been able to keep the downtown's retail environment relatively healthy, not great, but a far cry better than most cities in a similar boat.