Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Funny how many people disparage the PM for being useless, yet when it closes for a day, all of a sudden it becomes so essential! It was posted at the stations well in advance of Good Friday that it would be closed. For what it's worth, it was open on Easter Sunday. Even though the cars are driverless, that doesn't mean it runs for free. Since their subsidy from the city has been in question so much lately, I think they did the right thing by choosing Good Friday over Easter Sunday to close as the Tigers were playing Sunday. Many of the non-unionized and non-religious get Good Friday off, too. It was pretty quiet downtown that day. Frankly, I think they showed good fiscal responsibility by cutting back on one day that ridership probably would have been on the low side.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Funny how many people disparage the PM for being useless, yet when it closes for a day, all of a sudden it becomes so essential!
    While small and non-essential, I like the People Mover for what it is. I've never said it is useless, and while it is extremely limited, if you spend a lot of time downtown like I do, it is very useful if you know how to use it. I also use it because I make a point to use the junky transit we have available. I'm not a transit expert and I don't know how other cities maintain theirs - however as it has been pointed out countless times on this forum, you can find reliable transit in most major population centers in the world, but, again, not here. I would still say closing the entire system for an entire day seems idiotic and frankly makes it more unreliable to the user.
    Anecdotal, yes, but the two folks I talked to - one with family in from Austin and the other a Detroit resident - also tried vainly to use the system to find it was closed and also found it baffling. Normally you don't have to scour the internet for press releases to use transit in other cities, either. Here you practically need to study the three stupid systems for a lifetime to figure it out.
    Maybe I'm wrong. Next Thursday is Yom Hashoah. Has anyone seen a press release that's shutting down the system for that holiday before I take for granted that the system would be running at all? ANZAC day is coming up, too. Better keep my eyes peeled.
    Last edited by poobert; April-09-12 at 10:03 PM.