Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
It is time to consider why the Ilitch empire in Detroit hasn’t been examined in depth for creating widespread blight in The City of Detroit by the Freep or Detnews. Anyone else doing what they do would have already come under much more scrutiny.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that anyone who creates ‘bad press’ about them would be targeted to not have press access to Tiger or Redwing players or games. A popular weapon against the first amendment these days unfortunately.
I agree, but how much is press access really worth these days? Most of the sports journalist employed by those papers hardly go to a game anymore unless it is a playoff or “big game”, and then it is just to be there like a rich fair weather fan with a free ticket. Otherwise watch on tv, and send the story in remotely. The few journalists that do go to the random regular season Tigers vs Mariners game on a Wednesday night in August... are likely photographers, or someone just there to get free food from the buffet line. Otherwise they don’t bother.

But maybe their managers don’t realize that, as I doubt the Journalists would want to lose their press credentials and the free food and “big game” ticket that goes with it.