Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You chose to work for a gov't that went bankrupt but your pension was bailed out out for you. Same happened with autoworkers. Most people aren't so lucky.
    Well, of course I knew in 1959 that Detroit was going bankrupt, so that's why I signed on. NOT!

Detroit's bankruptcy was due to King Kwame who came to be long after I was gone. And the pension wasn't totally bailed out. It's still an iffy situation, in case you didn't know. Fortunately I saved all my graft money.

Also, the bankruptcy screwed with the health insurance my folks received; they had Banker's Life for all the years dad was on DPD and after he died in 75, my mom had it. It paid EVERYTHING. Then in the late 90's/early 2000's, they dropped it and my mom had to move to a PPO. Played hell with her advanced senior years. Also, as I said before, they never paid into SS, so she didn't have Medicare to fall back on. Only after the switch did we find out that she was supposed to be paying into Medicare since my dad died and she didn't know it. Medicare wanted her to pay more per month than what her pension payment was to enroll and catch up. It was a nightmare dealing with them over this. In the end, they grandfathered her and Medicaid paid for her assisted living/nursing home but we had to sign all of her assets over to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, of course I knew in 1959 that Detroit was going bankrupt, so that's why I signed on. NOT!

Detroit's bankruptcy was due to King Kwame who came to be long after I was gone. And the pension wasn't totally bailed out. It's still an iffy situation, in case you didn't know. Fortunately I saved all my graft money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

The point is you seem to be pleased that you were smart enough to get a gov't pension while blaming those who worked in the private sector for taking "ordinary jobs" where they could not possibly foresee their companies going bankrupt or they weren't able to save enough for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The point is you seem to be pleased that you were smart enough to get a gov't pension while blaming those who worked in the private sector for taking "ordinary jobs" where they could not possibly foresee their companies going bankrupt or they weren't able to save enough for retirement.
    The private sector has no monopoly on bankruptcy, mismanagement, and outright theft of pension funds. Governments have those faults, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The private sector has no monopoly on bankruptcy, mismanagement, and outright theft of pension funds. Governments have those faults, as well.
    You obviously weren't reading the previous posts. I just stated that the difference is when it's the gov't employees tend to get bailed out far more often than the private sector.