Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I have a cousin that was indicted for embezzlement by the fedgov. I see him at Christmas at my uncle's family gathering, but no more.

I also have cousins that I am pretty tight with.

I wonder if Penn is more the former than the latter with respect to the Kilpatrick enterprise. Detroit is, after all, a small town when it comes to this stuff.

stevenh Guest

So Kevyn Orr just happened to choose a cousin of Kwame who refuses to pay her state income taxes?
    http://deeds.macombgov.org/Default.a...exclude_apps=1

Detroit has a history of poor leadership and now appears determined to continue on this path.

the mainstream press needs to blow this up ASAP and she needs to cut a check or get fired, same as Pugh..

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I have a cousin that was indicted for embezzlement by the fedgov. I see him at Christmas at my uncle's family gathering, but no more.

I also have cousins that I am pretty tight with.

I wonder if Penn is more the former than the latter with respect to the Kilpatrick enterprise. Detroit is, after all, a small town when it comes to this stuff.
    Detroit is a small town and the Kilpatrick/Cheeks family is a large politically connected family with many highly educated members of that family. What some folks fail to realize is that there are some competent members of that family but they get swept with the same broad brush because of Kwame's misdeeds.

stevenh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Detroit is a small town and the Kilpatrick/Cheeks family is a large politically connected family with many highly educated members of that family. What some folks fail to realize is that there are some competent members of that family but they get swept with the same broad brush because of Kwame's misdeeds.
    Honest, competent public servants pay their income taxes. Shani Penn is making $90k a year and still refuses to pay a state tax lien against her. Clearly there is something in this family that shouts "we do as we please"...
    Anyone out there want to pay her state tax lien? http://deeds.macombgov.org/Default.a...exclude_apps=1

Quote Originally Posted by stevenh View Post
    Honest, competent public servants pay their income taxes. Shani Penn is making $90k a year and still refuses to pay a state tax lien against her. Clearly there is something in this family that shouts "we do as we please"...
    Anyone out there want to pay her state tax lien? http://deeds.macombgov.org/Default.a...exclude_apps=1
    I going to think that Orr did his due diligence on her and there may be legit reasons that tax lien is not paid. Neither you or the media has provided that information. Until we know a little more I would hold off on the indignation.

I see this a lot on this forum. 'She refuses'. What's the evidence for a refusal to pay?

What we know by a lien is that she didn't pay. Maybe she is having a disagreement with the State over what she owes. Maybe it was an honest mistake by the State. Maybe it was an honest mistake on her part. Maybe she really is 'refusing' to pay. We just don't know.

It isn't helpful to speculate.

And if you think the IRS or State of Michigan are never wrong, you are in the minority.

stevenh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I see this a lot on this forum. 'She refuses'. What's the evidence for a refusal to pay?

What we know by a lien is that she didn't pay. Maybe she is having a disagreement with the State over what she owes. Maybe it was an honest mistake by the State. Maybe it was an honest mistake on her part. Maybe she really is 'refusing' to pay. We just don't know.

It isn't helpful to speculate.

And if you think the IRS or State of Michigan are never wrong, you are in the minority.
    Speculation??? once again the Detroit excuse bandwagon has arrived.... Do you understand how many notices one receives before a tax lien is issued and recorded?? Kevyn Orr is now apparently stating this was "paid" but hasn't provided a paid receipt. The tax lien is legit. There is no evidence that Shani Penn has ever filed a motion/petition stating this lien is wrongful. Shani Penn has a tax lien against her because SHE CHOSE to refuse to pay. Michigan is tired of public servants who are dishonest. Kevyn Orr has some explaining why he didn't do his homework prior to hiring Shani Penn.

Speculation??? once again the Detroit excuse bandwagon has arrived.... Do you understand how many notices one receives before a tax lien is issued and recorded?? Kevyn Orr is now apparently stating this was "paid" but hasn't provided a paid receipt. The tax lien is legit. There is no evidence that Shani Penn has ever filed a motion/petition stating this lien is wrongful. Shani Penn has a tax lien against her because SHE CHOSE to refuse to pay. Michigan is tired of public servants who are dishonest. Kevyn Orr has some explaining why he didn't do his homework prior to hiring Shani Penn.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you were against an EFM, am I correct?

stevenh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you were against an EFM, am I correct?
    Wrong, I was a supporter of EFM Kevyn Orr. Detroit needs action, not more of the same corrupt/dishonest leadership. Anyone that is dishonest needs to go.

Oh, and an ex-spouse can put you on the tax hook.

Michigan is tired of public servants who are dishonest.
    Maybe what's happening here is that, for decades, the best that could be found in Detroit came with some dirt on their underbelly. Like attracts like, and it was only corrupt power-grabbers that aspired to work alongside other corrupt power-grabbers.

I think this year's election is the first time we've seen a handful of honest and upright candidates join the fray -- at least, from the Council's perspective -- and have a decent chance of winning. When folks like Vince Keenan et. al. are making efforts to be present in the decision-making process, that suggests a shift change in mentality around keeping politics objective and clean is occurring.

Now, as for the mayoral race....