Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

To give the lawyer the benefit of the doubt, he might see that the government has the evidence down pat. Lawyer goes to client and says "you're screwed, let's make a deal" and client says "no way, I'm pleading innocent". Hard to have a client-attorney relationship when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    To give the lawyer the benefit of the doubt, he might see that the government has the evidence down pat. Lawyer goes to client and says "you're screwed, let's make a deal" and client says "no way, I'm pleading innocent". Hard to have a client-attorney relationship when that happens.
    Exactly. I was surprised to come on this thread and find everyone railing against this lawyer. Especially since numerous people here who are in some way or another familiar with Bob Bashara have stated what a scumbag he is. The scenario I’m picturing is “A guilty plea is our best option, Bob” “Say that again and I’ll have you killed, pencil dick.”

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Exactly. I was surprised to come on this thread and find everyone railing against this lawyer. Especially since numerous people here who are in some way or another familiar with Bob Bashara have stated what a scumbag he is.
    Granted this might not be fair, but seeing he did the same in the Grant case makes it look like, yeah ,he wants the publicity of a high profile case but ready to jump ship when it looks like he can't win

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Granted this might not be fair, but seeing he did the same in the Grant case makes it look like, yeah ,he wants the publicity of a high profile case but ready to jump ship when it looks like he can't win
    I don't think it's about winning or losing, it's about maintaining credibility. You dont get to be a "high powered" defense attorney by dumping the guilty guys.

In the Grant case he did it after the torso was found and Grant went nuts and fled the area and maybe tried to kill himself...or just pretended to... anyway, little hard to maintain credibility as an attorney before the court and in the media if you are lied to by your client, and then repeat the lies, to the court and the press.

I'm guessing the same thing happened here. Bashara lied to him about trying to hire the hit man to get Gentz. Or lied to him in some other fashion that has been shown to be lie, that Griem has based his defense on.

We'll not know why he did it this time because he's being forced to stay on.