Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Subsidized, I agree completely. I am so sick of looking at that garage.

Southen, it certainly dwarfed Merchant's Row, but it also marked the gateway to the taller buildings of the financial district. The taller Stott building is a block west, for example. The tall-building gateway to downtown is actually Grand Circus Park, i.e. Broderick and Whitney. I think what's getting you-- and me too-- is the bulk of the Hudson's building. It was not only tall, but took up an entire block, while the other nearby blocks were apportioned into 5-6 buildings.

Oddly enough, we'll probably get a big block development from Bedrock that uses the block similarly. I don't mind if they go quite tall with it, but my biggest hope is that the design prevents a monolithic feel along Woodward, because that would indeed be a little out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I think what's getting you-- and me too-- is the bulk of the Hudson's building. It was not only tall, but took up an entire block, while the other nearby blocks were apportioned into 5-6 buildings.

Oddly enough, we'll probably get a big block development from Bedrock that uses the block similarly. I don't mind if they go quite tall with it, but my biggest hope is that the design prevents a monolithic feel along Woodward, because that would indeed be a little out of place.
    Agree with you on the massing. Not having a building on the Kern's block probably offset the massing a little bit, but it was still an incredibly "thick" building, in addition to being tall.

My guess is the Hudson's site development will have a mid-rise 6-8 story component that will take up the whole block with a much thinner tower [[or two or three) rising out of the top of it, kind of like the design contest winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Agree with you on the massing. Not having a building on the Kern's block probably offset the massing a little bit, but it was still an incredibly "thick" building, in addition to being tall.
    It prefers the term curves, thank you.