Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

^ funny you brought that up,I was watching a car show with his Howard Hugh's steam car,they were driving it and you could not hear it run,it uses 1 gallon of water in the whole steam system at one time.

Direct drive and he figured 1000 ft # of tourqe.

He has a poster on the wall from back when,it was telling people about the nasty gas driven automobiles and to buy clean steam,his massive tractor in comparison takes 300 gallons of water,when they put it up against a 4 engine truck in the pull contest the tractor pulled it across the track.

Pretty cool stuff,I am sure the fossil fuel companies hate steam power.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am sure the fossil fuel companies hate steam power.
    Fossil fuel is required to boil the water to make steam. Steam car technology peaked with the Doble roadster you mentioned ... complex in many ways, expensive compared to gasoline engines, cranky to maintain, with more than a dozen steps required just to start the car -- and that was peak state-of-the-art. Here's Jay Leno discussing his Doble roadster that Howard Hughes owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Boblo boats were built in early 20th Century, when steam was king.