Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
...does he just push the envelope with the life-span of the Palace?
I simply don't buy the fact that the Palace will be ready for the wrecking ball anytime soon. There are other arenas that were built around the same time that are targets for replacement, but those are mostly because the arena was built barebones [[the Palace wasn't), doesn't have many luxury suites [[the Palace does), is not profitable for one reason or another [[the Palace is), can't support other events [[the Palace is still a premier destination for concerts, can support hockey, soccer and other events), has horrible concourse areas [[the Palace is just fine), or is lacking in other amenities [[the Palace, as far as I know, has plenty of bathrooms, dining, and drinking options).

The biggest complaint I have about the Palace is the seats are an ugly color and could be a little more comfortable. Still, replacing 20,000 seats is a lot cheaper than replacing the entire building.

Simply put, I see no reason that Gores or anybody else would be chomping at the bit. As long as he kept investing money in it to keep it fresh, to keep the plumbing, electrical, HVAC and other infrastructure intact, the Palace should easily provide a great place for basketball, concerts, and other events.

As far as what this means to Ilitch, well, that's really none of Gores' concern. The Illitch's are resourceful so I have no doubt that they'll come up with a solution that benefits them and gives them what they want and need to remain competitive in the NHL.