Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone planning on attending the NFL Draft?

It is less than a month away. Detroit has said it is expecting around 500,000 visitors from all over the world. Are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It is less than a month away. Detroit has said it is expecting around 500,000 visitors from all over the world. Are you going?
    I'm definitely not going but where do they come up with these numbers? I've mostly read 300,000 not 5. Most people attending will be locals, not visitors to the area. There are about 5,000 hotel rooms downtown and 40-45,000 in the burbs. Most of the suburban hotels have lots of rooms available at their regular rates so if they are from elsewhere they must be camping.
    Last edited by 401don; March-28-24 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm definitely not going but where do they come up with these numbers? I've mostly read 300,000 not 5. Most people attending will be locals, not visitors to the area. There are about 5,000 hotel rooms downtown and 40-45,000 in the burbs. Most of the suburban hotels have lots of rooms available at their regular rates so if they are from elsewhere they must be camping.
    Oh, I agree with you. The news media was forecasting those numbers. They are just hyped up promoting the city, I guess because Detroit is in the sporting world spotlight these next couple of months, because of the NCAA Tournament games this weekend here, and the draft. And to your point, while they have added a few new hotels recently, I don't think they have enough space downtown to accomodate all those people.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-28-24 at 09:57 AM.

Don't forget the gazillions of dollars they will bring~!

I'm going. So what the numbers were missing calculated. That's not going to stop me from enjoying a once in a lifetime event in my own city

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    My spouse has a management job at one of the major hotels downtown, they have been told that there are no rooms available during this time between here and Flint and Windsor is also booked up, their hotel has been booked for months, who knows for sure?

The closures for the draft have really crippled downtown walkability. Many downtown restaurants now have an extra 10 minutes of walking time from my office [20 minutes round-trip] because you must walk around the perimeter of the "draft zone" that keeps expanding each week.

I've also heard complaints from my coworkers that driving to their downtown jobs is much more difficult. I'm an early riser and work a 7a-4p shift, so I haven't had any issues.

It's neat to see so much of the area getting fixed, streets, sidewalks, and things getting tidied up. I wish it could be done on a regular schedule instead of in response to people that will visit here for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    My spouse has a management job at one of the major hotels downtown, they have been told that there are no rooms available during this time between here and Flint and Windsor is also booked up, their hotel has been booked for months, who knows for sure?
    I just searched Troy again on Priceline and there are still lots of hotels April 24-26.

I work at Woodward and Jefferson. Our building is just outside of the perimeter of the draft zone, but access will still be difficult. I plan to park in the vicinity of a People Mover stop and ride it to the Financial District stop and walk to the office.

I attended a meeting regarding the draft and the draft zone will go into lockdown on Tuesday evening, April 24th. You will not be allowed into the draft zone unless you pre-register [[no cost). Security will be very tight.

Doubtful that I will make it downtown during the NFL Draft event, but I'm hoping to drive/walk by to see how it's shaping up. And maybe see and photograph some of the artful Cleats that are placed around town!

https://detroitmi.gov/news/city-detr...2024-nfl-draft

I've seen one Cleat but there are 20 of them, so would love to see a few in situ.

11. Default

I've been downtown getting some drone videos of the setup.

The Qline will probably be not running into downtown during the draft. I had taken it this past Saturday and it only traveled to Little Ceasars Arena.

I have tix for each of the 3 days. I'm unsure of what day I will actually go, but I'm all set as far as entrance to everything. I will take the bus into the area. SMART has a draft express.

As a downtown office worker, I can only say it is getting more confusing to walk and drive around downtown daily, much worse than the Grand Prix. Oh well, it's only for a few days.

The amount of activity in the Woodward/Jefferson/Hart Plaza area is unreal. From my office window it's as if someone kicked over an ant hill.
    Last edited by GPCharles; April-23-24 at 01:27 PM.

In case anyone here is planning on attending, or just watching tv, the Tigers game Friday is a 1:00 start because of the draft. Bonus for Chris - he gets to sell those parking spots twice.

A preview for how the NFL Draft Detroit 2024 stage is going to look like...

A closer look at the NFL draft theater built in downtown Detroit [[msn.com)

Wow... love the new lighting of the People Mover columns... in all the different colors. Supposedly this is permanent. Will add a nice touch to downtown at night!!

How the city of Detroit is literally lighting up for the NFL Draft | Watch [[msn.com)

If anyone is wondering how the Renaissance Center will be lit up for the NFL Draft....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  Hart Plaza on Day One of the NFL Draft.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  126.0 KB

Okay, who's the wiseguy that kicked over the ant hill?

Screen snap of Cadillac Square and Campus Martius from Around 6 PM.

Screen snap from start of draft. Gates closed after 100,000+ fans pack into the draft arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Screen snap from start of draft. Gates closed after 100,000+ fans pack into the draft arena.

Hey, that does look like fun.

The news is saying over 250000 fans in the "footprint". Go Deee Troit!!!

I was in that crowd and it was a little bit of a sh*t show for sure. There were masses of people trying to get into the area after it hit capacity. At one point the crowd knocked over small fence and rushed closer to the stage before being stopped by mounted police. I know because I was inadvertently part of that crowd! No incidents of violence or anything of that sort were witnessed though.

If you're planning to go, GO EARLY! If you want to see the stage and don't have special tickets, camp out close to it at like 3:00 and be prepared to wait.

Very happy to see Detroit pulling off this event smoothly so far, fingers crossed the next 2 days go well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast