Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I can kind of understand DetroitDad's argument. I grew up in suburbia for 18 years, in Birmingham. I came across a lot of kids there who were plain old bored. There's not much to do in the suburbs, especially if you're a teen with a low paying job. The majority of kids in Birminham, hell the whole area, we're recreationally using soft and hard drugs such as x, coccain, etc - out of boredom and nothing else better to do.

DetroitDad has a point on the fact that the suburbs don't harbor an environment of - walkability, easily accessible [[close proximity) entertainment items, neighbors looking out for one another. It's just one large, sprawling, massively [[but quietly) polluting, cultureless, overly protective, BORING, segregated... future wasteland [[unsustainable). I can see how this can effect the state of minds of teens who need adventure, culture, excitement and a sustainable environment.

on the other hand.... city kids can't be suicidal either?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    I can kind of understand DetroitDad's argument. I grew up in suburbia for 18 years, in Birmingham. I came across a lot of kids there who were plain old bored. There's not much to do in the suburbs, especially if you're a teen with a low paying job. The majority of kids in Birminham, hell the whole area, we're recreationally using soft and hard drugs such as x, coccain, etc - out of boredom and nothing else better to do.

DetroitDad has a point on the fact that the suburbs don't harbor an environment of - walkability, easily accessible [[close proximity) entertainment items, neighbors looking out for one another. It's just one large, sprawling, massively [[but quietly) polluting, cultureless, overly protective, BORING, segregated... future wasteland [[unsustainable). I can see how this can effect the state of minds of teens who need adventure, culture, excitement and a sustainable environment.

on the other hand.... city kids can't be suicidal either?
    Presumably not as many would in a more rewarding environment, a community that is more sustainable, walkable, creative [[culture), nurturing, has real public space, and a community oriented environment with mixed incomes. A culture that values family togetherness and time as opposed to the suburban model of money buys happiness [[consumerism) would logically have less of such problems, as Sstashmoo alluded to. Many Rustbelt, Sunbelt, and Western cities were reduced to, or built on the suburban model. Urban design and architecture alone can affect mood.