Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Olympics in '24

Hybrid View

I would adamantly protest any attempt by Detroit to host the Olympics. Dumping tens of billions of dollars into something that LITERALLY gives you nothing in return except 2 weeks of pride and panoramic aircraft pictures is the biggest crock of shit ever. Boston is obviously a smart city for looking at the financial picture and backing out.

Oh wait, I forgot, you also get hulking empty stadiums that generate no revenue and abandoned sporting venues that start looking like the east side of Detroit. How about putting the billions spent on the Olympics and updating our shit infrastructure, failing school system, or tearing down every vacant building in the city? Don't those sound like better ways to spend cash?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How about putting the billions spent on the Olympics and updating our shit infrastructure, failing school system, or tearing down every vacant building in the city? Don't those sound like better ways to spend cash?
    Yes, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How about putting the billions spent on the Olympics and updating our shit infrastructure, failing school system, or tearing down every vacant building in the city? Don't those sound like better ways to spend cash?
    That's actually an argument for Detroit to host the Olympics. A significant amount of Olympics spending is to upgrade infrastructure -- particularly transportation and housing -- to support the attendees. London used the games to target housing and transportation improvements to a economically depressed part of the city.

I think without a goal like the Olympics the political will to spend on large scale infrastructure upgrades in the city of Detroit is not likely to exist any time soon. I can understand why a rich city like Boston would turn this down. But I think a city like Detroit could actually benefit much more from being host than a city like Boston.