Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Default Dating Bishops

Can anyone track down what year the Bishop style lights started going up, and when were the last new ones installed? Looking for the start and stop years. Also how did they get the Bishop name?

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Can anyone track down what year the Bishop style lights started going up, and when were the last new ones installed? Looking for the start and stop years. Also how did they get the Bishop name?
    Because it looks like a bishop's crook? Just guessing.

ca. 1909 is the oldest photo I've seen of a bishop light in the style we still find today. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but I know the pineapple finial design debuted in 1916. Not sure if they installed both concurrently for a time around then or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Would you consider this a Bishop style?:

Attachment 7105

From the city lighting department's 1897 annual report.