Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
It seems evident that no one from the Detroit Zoo or anywhere else is willing to undertake the expense of what it would cost to renovate the place as a zoo again.
The Detroit Zoo has poured a lot of funding into capital improvements over the past few years. They've opened up the new Penguin center, which is best in the world. They've updated the Tiger exhibit, put in a new Red Panda exhibit, added a new boardwalk over the pond, and other improvements. This is just over the last couple of years.

Point is they are investing in the Detroit Zoo to keep it a world class facility, which it is, and unless additional funding opens up, I just don't see the value in stopping the investments there to funnel them to the Belle Isle Zoo.

Besides, do we really need two separate zoos in that close proximity to another? Maybe if the Detroit Zoo wasn't one of the best in the world with year after year of record breaking attendance, but since it is, I guess I don't see the need to change the strategic direction that is working well.