Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I thought DWSD had an intake up in St. Clair County somewhere that served the northern part of the system.
    Yes, in fact I believe that most, if not all, of the DWSD water that goes to the Flint area already comes from Lake Huron. From the ill-fated Pt. Huron intake tunnel and treatment plant [[for those too young to remember, an explosion during the construction of this tunnel in 1971 killed 22 workers).

My comment was meant to indicate one of the [[spurious) concerns that suburban customers often seem to have about "Detroit" water - that it all comes from the Detroit River, and, therefore, must require lots more treatment than water from other sources and is of suspect safety. Despite the fact that the Detroit River is just a fast-flowing part of the Great Lakes system. And that the "treatment" that is done by DWSD, and therefore the safety of their water, is for some reason deficient.

It sounds to me like the Genesee Co. folks sold their new water system in part on on this perception and the idea that their Lake Huron water would be purer than "Detroit" water and not require "treatment"
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-01-13 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Yes, in fact I believe that most, if not all, of the DWSD water that goes to the Flint area already comes from Lake Huron. From the ill-fated Pt. Huron intake tunnel and treatment plant [[for those too young to remember, an explosion during the construction of this tunnel in 1971 killed 22 workers).
    Uggh you brought back some bad memories there. My Dad worked on that tunnel. He lasted one week before he transferred to another department just to get out of there. He ended up at DPW for the rest of his career. The explosion happened about a month after his departure. I don't blame him, it was too far from home and as you can see dangerous work.