Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    Your assessment is quite correct. The elite areas of any city reflect where that city stands in the economy of the times. Detroit's decline is mirrored in GP's lowered profile among the country's most affluent communities. Lakeshore was once lined with estates, not subsivisions, when Detroit was a dominant force in the nation's economy, but now seems a shadow of its former self - the saving grace being some gems on the sidestreets. That Fifth Avenue and London's West End remain atop the world's most coveted residential districts is a testament to their respective cities' continued renewal and relevance to changing times. GP's best hope is a strong regional response to the opportunities of our own times.
    I have lived in GP for over 45 years and have been hearing this BULLSHIT since I moved here and yet to quote Lowell GP is like old man river its keeps moving on. I am always bewildered that 30 ish homes that were razed between the 1950's and 1980's are considered the end of GP. There are still 1000's of homes designed by the greatest concentration of architectural talent in Metro Detroit[[neither Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills comes close), but it seems that because those 30 homes were torn down [[most before many on here were born) that GP is doomed. Its funny its been 30 plus years since the last of them were razed and GP is still standing. In the early 1980's and just recently the area took a hit but both times as the economy rebounded so did GP. Right now the the realtors in GP are crying due to the lack of homes to sell. GP has always been a bargain when compared to similar areas around the country.

Unfortunately everyone's view of GP is from Lakeshore. For GP residents Lakeshore is the last street we would live on.

Last all those 1000's of homes are in very good to exceptional condition-"a testament to the residents of GP's continued renewal and relevance to changing times."

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I have lived in GP for over 45 years and have been hearing this BULLSHIT since I moved here and yet to quote Lowell GP is like old man river its keeps moving on. I am always bewildered that 30 ish homes that were razed between the 1950's and 1980's are considered the end of GP.
    I think this is a good quote illustrating why people have different perspectives. You are speaking of architectural quality, and I have mentioned property values. From your perspective, the lack of teardowns is indicative of some "good"; and I don't disagree. But from a market perspective, it means less rapacious development, basically implying that the land in the Pointes, from a relative perspective, isn't that valuable. If the Pointes were so hot, teardowns would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think this is a good quote illustrating why people have different perspectives. You are speaking of architectural quality, and I have mentioned property values. From your perspective, the lack of teardowns is indicative of some "good"; and I don't disagree. But from a market perspective, it means less rapacious development, basically implying that the land in the Pointes, from a relative perspective, isn't that valuable. If the Pointes were so hot, teardowns would be a problem.
    Bham you need to get over here sometime, and I would be more than happy to give you a tour. What do tearsdowns have to do with land value? Maybe in Birmingham they are a sign of growth whether one likes them or not. Here there are plenty of teardowns but there is also a fair amount of open land. Also unlike Birmingham the teardowns here are replacing less desirable homes built in the 50's 60's and 70's. When its all said and done with the quality of the construction, size and diversity here, there is no need to replace the existing housing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Unfortunately everyone's view of GP is from Lakeshore. For GP residents Lakeshore is the last street we would live on.

Last all those 1000's of homes are in very good to exceptional condition-"a testament to the residents of GP's continued renewal and relevance to changing times."
    p69rrh51... it's probably best that they stay on Lakeshore with their blinders on... going down Windmille Pointe, Vendome, Cloverly, Kenwood, Lincoln, 3 Mile Dr., Provencal, et al... will only confuse them...