I started this thread to raise awareness, to be vigilant in keeping a watch on this superb pair of buildings, I'm sure we can all agree that's a good thing.

I doubt any scrappers are reading this forum, quite a leap to assume many of them can read, or own a computer.

If the building was once open, it most likely will be again, guard or no guard. The Lee Plaza has certainly hundreds of cars going by on any given day, and still the copper roof and terracotta lion heads were stolen. I called the cops myself, and was told they don't have the resources to send a car for property crimes.

And people wonder if the caryatids will be stolen in broad daylight?

Does anyone remember back in the late 80's when the lamp posts and railings designed by Samuel Yellin on the terraces of the DPL were stolen in the middle of the night?

You do know that cops noticed what appeared to be an official city work crew in safety orange and hardhats with lights on, removing them, at night, and did nothing.

Next morning it was all over the news. The railing inserts and lamp posts were stolen. The irreplaceable bronze work was "found" at a scrapper's yard, whom, everyone thought was a good samaritan, who called the city, saying he had these items, and paid cash to some guys, but thought the better of it, before melting them down.

Truth is, the city had to pay this guy to get the stuff back, and no doubt kickbacks were handed to one of CAY's cronies in this obviously planned pillage. The follow-up to the story was buried, and no one went to jail over this.

Detroit has a history of this kind of crap going on, and the DPL case wasn't an isolated incident.

Please, let's keep a watch ouselves, since the city, most building owners, and the police have no interest in doing so.