Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"if you want the same rights then you must follow the same rules"

Really? Then how does that explain why drivers are on the roads? It's a nice double standard until someone calls you on it. The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

It's also worth noting that bicyclists had rights to the road before traffic laws existed. Traffic laws were created to accommodate motor vehicle traffic and reduce the carnage they were causing on public roads. While some make sense for bicyclists [[e.g. ride with traffic), many do not [[e.g. four-way stops.)

D&D are infantile. Their listeners more so.
    I do not listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    "if you want the same rights then you must follow the same rules"

Really? Then how does that explain why drivers are on the roads? It's a nice double standard until someone calls you on it. The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

It's also worth noting that bicyclists had rights to the road before traffic laws existed. Traffic laws were created to accommodate motor vehicle traffic and reduce the carnage they were causing on public roads. While some make sense for bicyclists [[e.g. ride with traffic), many do not [[e.g. four-way stops.)
    au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist. This entitled moron was weaving in between traffic stopped at a light...because he can't wait for the light to change like everyone else. While trying to pass between my car and the car in the lane next to me, he lost control, dragged his pedal the enitre length of my car and snapped off my passenger side mirror. He fell off his bike and slammed into the rear of the car ahead of me, denting the trunk lid and cracking the tail light. Unfortunately he was basically unscathed and rode off down a sidestreet and away from the scene as fast as possible. WE however both called the cops, and had to wait for them to show, in order to get the report to submit to insurance. That was futile as I still had to eat my deductable. So, I have zero sympathy for bikers that decide the rules don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist. This entitled moron was weaving in between traffic stopped at a light...because he can't wait for the light to change like everyone else. While trying to pass between my car and the car in the lane next to me, he lost control, dragged his pedal the enitre length of my car and snapped off my passenger side mirror. He fell off his bike and slammed into the rear of the car ahead of me, denting the trunk lid and cracking the tail light. Unfortunately he was basically unscathed and rode off down a sidestreet and away from the scene as fast as possible. WE however both called the cops, and had to wait for them to show, in order to get the report to submit to insurance. That was futile as I still had to eat my deductable. So, I have zero sympathy for bikers that decide the rules don't apply.
    I am not trying to say that this doesn't suck or that it wasn't the fault of an irresponsible cyclist-- surely you can agree though that motor vehicles cause more damage to bicyclists than the other way around on average? I mean, bikes don't exactly have the potential to kill.

No, choquant. He was clearly the "victim." After all, he said so.

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    I am not trying to say that this doesn't suck or that it wasn't the fault of an irresponsible cyclist-- surely you can agree though that motor vehicles cause more damage to bicyclists than the other way around on average? I mean, bikes don't exactly have the potential to kill.
    On average sure. However the statement made was an unequivocal denial.
    The difference is motorists that disregard traffic laws have victims. Bicyclists don't.

Poor victim, Bailey. He got punched right in the rearview mirror by a bicyclists' face. How horrid!

[Poor victim, Bailey. He got punched right in the rearview mirror by a bicyclists' face. How horrid!
    Uh, no, pretty sure it was his back pack that took out my mirror. In any event, if it hadnt been for him disregarding the rules of the road, it wouldn't have happened. And, at that time in my life the several hundred dollars it took to repair the damage was a significant issue. All because some jack-off couldn't wait for light to change. But, standard fare around this board is to blame the victim...so dnerd's comment is to be expected.

Uh, no, pretty sure it was his back pack that took out my mirror. In any event, if it hadnt been for him disregarding the rules of the road, it wouldn't have happened. And, at that time in my life the several hundred dollars it took to repair the damage was a significant issue. All because some jack-off couldn't wait for light to change. But, standard fare around this board is to blame the victim...so dnerd's comment is to be expected.
    No, it's just because I don't like you. You sound like a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    I have seen bikers ride on the wrong side of traffic on West Grand Blvd. It seems to go both ways that many people, bicyclists and motorists are ignorant of the laws that govern the bicycle, even the law enforcers themselves here in Detroit and Highland Park are ignorant of the laws stating that the bicycle have the same right to ride on the street as motorists.

It is time that the message be made clear that both bicyclist and motorists are treated equally and action taken to accommodate both parties on their use of the road.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    It is time that the message be made clear that both bicyclist and motorists are treated equally and action taken to accommodate both parties on their use of the road.
    i don't want to out him, but someone who's posted already spends a good chunk of his time, proffesionally, doing just that

au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist.
    To clarify, I'm defining a victim as someone who has suffered personal injuries or killed -- not someone whose car is scratched. Besides, more cars are damaged by motorists than by bicyclists.

All groups include some jerks. There is no exception for bicycle riders.

On the other hand, there is a fundamental inequality of power between drivers and bicycle riders, which does tend to keep bicyclists relatively subdued. There are a lot of riders who don't ride safely, in my opinion. On the other hand, I'm sure some people probably think I don't ride safely, at least not always.

Another difference between [[adult) bicyclists and drivers, is that the bicyclists almost all drive, and have some idea of what driving is like. Lots of drivers have never cycled in traffic, and do really dangerous stuff like overtaking to make a right turn without being aware of the hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Another difference between [[adult) bicyclists and drivers, is that the bicyclists almost all drive, and have some idea of what driving is like. Lots of drivers have never cycled in traffic, and do really dangerous stuff like overtaking to make a right turn without being aware of the hazard.
    That's a great point!

And in a similar vein, road designers have plenty of driving experience but rarely have much cycling experience. To address this, MDOT is bringing one of the world's top traffic engineers to Michigan. He gives a presentation on road designs for safer cycling and leads a bike ride to point out the good and the bad. After a little bit of lobbying, we got a stop in Detroit next month.

Thanks Gumby for the rules!

I never noticed number 8 before. I never did like Fixed Gear Bicycles.