Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    or lets build cars here with overpriced labor for an expanding market and ship them to the other side of the globe on big boats
    Overpriced labor? I don't know many average auto employees driving Bentelys.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Overpriced labor? I don't know many average auto employees driving Bentelys.
    What you're failing to acknowledge here is that a "good" wage in the US is much, much higher than a "good" wage in India.

My company outsources much of our software development to India. Globally, we are 300,000 strong, and employ thousands in the Metro Detroit area. The problem is, I've heard that when overhead, wages, insurance and everything else is considered, a US employee costs about 10 times as much as one in India. Yeah, I'm not happy about the outsourcing either, but you can't argue with those numbers. If we don't oursource, our competitor will, and will be able to undercut us on the bid to the OEM. Then, we don't get the business, and there's no work for the employees anywhere.

These companies are smart to invest in China, India and Brazil. They are up-and-coming markets, and they'll be left in their competitors' dust if they don't set up shop. It's wonderful to think we could export the vehicles to them, but given the aforementioned import restrictions and the higher wages here, we'd never be able to compete with a competitor on foreign soil.

It's a race to the bottom. Figure out what you can do to maintain a competitive edge before your job can be done by someone just as qualified, will to make $2/hr. Complaining won't accomplish anything.
    Last edited by wazootyman; September-10-11 at 08:07 AM.