Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Well, the KC depot has the advantage that it is not two miles from anyplace that people want to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Well, the KC depot has the advantage that it is not two miles from anyplace that people want to visit.
    This is why I think envisioning Michigan Central as a contemporary transit hub is terribly misguided. Had the station originally been built in a more central location it might never have been abandoned and left to rot. It wouldn't make much sense in my opinion- plus it would be exhaustingly expensive- to make it a rail hub again. At least the current [[tiny & unremarkable) Amtrak station is both in a relatively busy midtown and on Detroit's main drag. I do think a better multi-service station should replace that, but it would be a fraction of the cost of renovating the old beautiful place, plus it is still in a better position relative to density and traffic. I am not sure that MCS could ever really justify its renovation cost, unless it was spread out over a large area of development. Here's to hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    This is why I think envisioning Michigan Central as a contemporary transit hub is terribly misguided. Had the station originally been built in a more central location it might never have been abandoned and left to rot.

I don't understand this. Michigan Central Station functioned as a rail hub for decades. Suddenly, "it's too far away". Why the sudden change in paradigm? Did the building up and move?

Detroit Metro Airport is 23 miles away from downtown Detroit. It's even further from Brooks Patterson's business oasis of Oakland County. Yet people still use DTW, even with it's poor ground transportation.

So what other excuses do we have to consider besides Location?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I don't understand this. Michigan Central Station functioned as a rail hub for decades. Suddenly, "it's too far away". Why the sudden change in paradigm? Did the building up and move?

Detroit Metro Airport is 23 miles away from downtown Detroit. It's even further from Brooks Patterson's business oasis of Oakland County. Yet people still use DTW, even with it's poor ground transportation.

So what other excuses do we have to consider besides Location?
    It functioned as a rail hub because that is where the NYC/MC originated and terminated their many trains. With the elimination of passenger service through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, the rationale for having a train station at that location disappeared. I don't see AMTRAK running that many intercity trains into and out of Detroit. Its location makes it useless as a transit hub for local rapid transit. The building is functionally obsolete and in the wrong location for repurposing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The building is functionally obsolete and in the wrong location for repurposing.
    Just like the building in Kansas City. Or Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Just like the building in Kansas City. Or Cincinnati.
    Take a look at the stations which have been restored. The concourse is the central point of the building with some minor office space. MCS is an office building with a concourse on the first couple of floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Take a look at the stations which have been restored. The concourse is the central point of the building with some minor office space. MCS is an office building with a concourse on the first couple of floors.
    Therefore, don't even bother restoring the concourse building. Just give up, roll over, and die.

Sounds a lot like the arguments we used to hear about the Book-Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Surprisingly, the KC station is relatively isolated. The station is surrounded by the WWII memorial and Crown Center to the south, and the tracks to the north. But, it is more along the lines of Joe Louis Arena isolation, not MCS isolation. [[I had a very nice meal at the Pierpont's restaurant in the station a few years ago. The rehab looked very nice.)

One advantage the KC station has is that it spread out horizontally. It seems like it is always harder to infill vertically. I'm not saying it is impossible, just that it is harder.