Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    What we'll probably see is a shuffling of tenants moving from outdated spaces to newer ones. Then it will be up to the building owners whether or not they want to try to attract new office tenants, or pivot to residential. It's probably a bit wasteful, but those old office buildings can't all be in great condition, so maybe it's better for them to get a renovation to residential.

I bet we'll also see a little bit of movement from the suburbs downtown as businesses want to show that they are in the newest and nicest offices.
    I think a reshuffle is likely, especially as tax incentives for residential conversions become more available.

I'd love to see more suburban employers move downtown, but I can't think of any obvious candidates off the bat. Maybe Flagstar?

I think we'll see more employers move downtown again as projects like Michigan Central and UMCI come fully online, but that's still a few years off. Regional transit would also be a huge help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    Regional transit would also be a huge help with that.
    It would, but I just don't see this coming in the future. Aside from a fleet of busses, I don't believe any meaningful mass transit will be running up the spokes to 8 mile and beyond in my lifetime. Unless DG wants to start throwing hundreds of millions of his cash into it, there will be no expansion of the Q line. Even in DG's own words recently, it was proof concept to the Fed that A) We could build this B) we can operate it C) Lets talk in the near future about the Gov investing into expansion. The Q line has been operating for 6 years now & I have not seen rider numbers justifying the massive expansion of the system. Yea, the younger generation absolutely wants mass transit, but whos footing the bill to make it happen? Maybe 10 years from now if there is a massive influx of people into downtown and surrounding area, there is a realistic discussion about an expansion of the Q line or some form of it. Hey, maybe the Q line expansion and District Detroit can have a dual groundbreaking ceremony......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It would, but I just don't see this coming in the future. Aside from a fleet of busses, I don't believe any meaningful mass transit will be running up the spokes to 8 mile and beyond in my lifetime. Unless DG wants to start throwing hundreds of millions of his cash into it, there will be no expansion of the Q line. Even in DG's own words recently, it was proof concept to the Fed that A) We could build this B) we can operate it C) Lets talk in the near future about the Gov investing into expansion. The Q line has been operating for 6 years now & I have not seen rider numbers justifying the massive expansion of the system. Yea, the younger generation absolutely wants mass transit, but whos footing the bill to make it happen? Maybe 10 years from now if there is a massive influx of people into downtown and surrounding area, there is a realistic discussion about an expansion of the Q line or some form of it. Hey, maybe the Q line expansion and District Detroit can have a dual groundbreaking ceremony......
    There is no reason the constant rebuilding of roads and streets [[many of which are not highly used by the general public) should be given a blank check, whereas any mention of public transit begins with "we can't afford it."

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    I think a reshuffle is likely, especially as tax incentives for residential conversions become more available.

I'd love to see more suburban employers move downtown, but I can't think of any obvious candidates off the bat. Maybe Flagstar?

I think we'll see more employers move downtown again as projects like Michigan Central and UMCI come fully online, but that's still a few years off. Regional transit would also be a huge help with that.
    Don't forget shopping. Downtown doesn't have the shopping the most suburban cities provide. Novi, Allen Park, Roseville, Hall Road , etc provide shopping and other amenities that Downtown/Midtown Detroit still don't provide.