Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Wow Kansas City, bandwagon much?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    KC went from years in the basement to the top of the heap this year. Almost all cities are bandwagon, save maybe the Cubs, Red Sox, Maple Leafs and a few others. You don't remember how badly the Tigers drew in the 90's at wonderful Tiger Stadium? Checked out the Pistons attendance or their ratings lately?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    the vast majority of fandoms are bandwagon phenomena

These polls tend to rotate between Detroit, Chicago and Boston but why post a poll from last yr.?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    These polls tend to rotate between Detroit, Chicago and Boston but why post a poll from last yr.?
    Is there a 2015 poll?

I took this from a bunch of polls about Detroit, and quite frankly it was the only positive one...

When folks say good things about Detroit it is more than likely sports related... [[also get some of that almost 'backhanded' compliment: "Detroit hit rock bottom so it had no place to go but up...", kind of like the improvement of the Tigers from the 2003 season...).

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Is there a 2015 poll?

I took this from a bunch of polls about Detroit, and quite frankly it was the only positive one...

When folks say good things about Detroit it is more than likely sports related... [[also get some of that almost 'backhanded' compliment: "Detroit hit rock bottom so it had no place to go but up...", kind of like the improvement of the Tigers from the 2003 season...).
    Sporting News, Bleacher Report, Forbes, USA Today, etc. run these every year. Easy way to get quoted. Just like the value of franchises stuff.
    "Throwing in the towel" sure isn't hurting Tigers attendance. Sellouts all weekend. I realize most of this was pre-sold but the last 5-10,000 is normally walk-up.

Sporting News, Bleacher Report, Forbes, USA Today, etc. run these every year. Easy way to get quoted. Just like the value of franchises stuff.
    "Throwing in the towel" sure isn't hurting Tigers attendance. Sellouts all weekend. I realize most of this was pre-sold but the last 5-10,000 is normally walk-up.
    Anecdotal, but real story:

I was planning to be in Detroit over the Labor Day weekend for football and Tigers' games with family.

Plans have been changed after the selloff. I thought I was, in part, coming for a playoff run...

Now the games are virtually meaningless, maybe watch some young prospects, etc.

It also means I'll be watching college FB on television, and not in person.

That said, don't the Tigers have around 25K [[give or take) tixs sold for most games through the various season tix plans?

MLB has gotten smart. They sell what 21, 41, etc. plans. A couple [[or more) people get together on say a 21 game plan and it is now a 10 game plan which is nice. Do most folks want to make say 5 or 6 treks to downtown in a week to watch a home stand???? [[like getting home at 11 or midnight, going to work, etc. and repeat the next night).

RE: 81 game plans. Who in their right mind, would attend a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night games and then say a Thursday afternoon game. Like most people work and by Thursday the person would be running on empty or sleeping at work... Maybe a millennial can burn the candle at both ends, but most can not...
    Last edited by emu steve; August-11-15 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    ...RE: 81 game plans. Who in their right mind, would attend a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night games and then say a Thursday afternoon game. Like most people work and by Thursday the person would be running on empty or sleeping at work... Maybe a millennial can burn the candle at both ends, but most can not...
    Steve, most of those 81 game plans are corporately purchased for marketing & charity purposes. If you ever go through the seats in the lower deck directly behind the Tiger dugout, you'll see the names of the companies on the rows of seats. Check it out next time you go. I think there are very few individuals purchasing full season ticket packages which around around $6K per person for the best seats. However, those who do probably are wealthy enough to not have to work every day. Plus, I suspect, that like the corporations, they may give some of those seats away and/or resell them on StubHub.

BTW, wait until next year when all of those season tix plans, even partials, need to renew.

Tigers could, conceivably, finish LAST in the AL. They are 4 games up on last place Boston and the Tigers are starting a brutal road trip.