Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

Obivously, we need the homicide rate to go down. That will be the real proof in the pudding. But the rate can't go down if 90% of them go unsolved. So it's good to see that progress
    I doubt this is correct. Most homicides aren't committed or not committed with a view toward the likelihood of punishment, so whether you solve them or not doesn't have a big affect whether most homicides happen--homicides are more a product of the overall environment. Clearance of homicides is a good thing for lots of reasons, but it isn't a requirement for reducing homicide rates. On the other hand, getting crime in general down will almost certainly reduce homicides, and if you aren't solving homicides you probably aren't solving a lot of other crimes either, including types of crime where solving crimes has a big effect on incidence.

Regardless, I welcome any sign that the DPD is improving, and this is one of those signs. I hope for continued improvement.
    Last edited by mwilbert; May-18-14 at 08:04 AM.