Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Good riddance! Now we'll finally have a place to park when we need to go to the, um, parking lot.

Tear that schitt down!

Do we really know these demolitions are for parking? This looks kind of far away from the HF Main Campus compared to their parking structure and the lot behind the Clara Ford Pavilion.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Do we really know these demolitions are for parking? This looks kind of far away from the HF Main Campus compared to their parking structure and the lot behind the Clara Ford Pavilion.
    Well, the demolition of the Lincolnshire could be to accommodate a Cheesecake Factory or a "temporary park", but I'm playing the odds on this one.

My 1976 Arrow Street Guide lists the DeVur Hotel at 1129 West Milwaukee. It does not list the Milwaukee Apartments. If 683 was the street address of the Milwaukee Apartments, it would have been between Second and Third Avenues [[I assume that it's gone now).

That building is indeed the DeVur. I've been in there. Someone I knew lived there, and some friends of mine in a band recorded there back in the late '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Well just look at the google maps link posted earlier and you can decide for yourself.

From above it sure looks like Henry Ford is using all the space they've already cleared over there for parking.

Yes they can salvage most of those old buildings, if the scrappers haven't gotten it first. When Huff Junior High [[the old Lincoln Park High School) was demolished, contractors removed all of the ornamentation - bricks, stone, iron, lights, radiators, etc. I don't believe Huff had any historic significance, though it was a beautiful and very substantial building. That might've been 15 - 20 years ago.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. Nothing slips by this crowd!

It is listed at 1129 but as the DeVur Hotel. I was scanning for an address with a resident list, assuming it was an apartment. As it did not have list residents I overlooked it and erroneously jumped at the Milwaukee, which did have a list. I should have known the address was off. I also notice that there is also a DeVur Cafe listed for 1123. I would guess that is the red front space [with the demolition sign].

Keep in mind that Ford Hospital also owns HAP. HAP is on the corner of Lincoln and West Grand Blvd. The DeVur is behind HAP. The Lincolnshire is probably in the middle of the block. The hospital also tore down Astor Court. I believe Astor Court had a beautiful marble lobby.

I live in Universal Lofts which is right down the on Lincoln. Going to WSU I drive past this building everyday. In August when I moved in the two or three houses south of the Lincolnshire where demolished [[possibly by the city). The Farrow signs have been up on the Lincolnshire and the other buildings on Milwaukee including the Ramp Room since mid summer.

The big construction equipment has only been there for a month or so.

I was out of town for Thanksgiving but the Ramp Room was razed on or around November 30th. As of Tuesday, December 15th, the Lincolnshire is gone too.

Here is a video I found on youtube of the Lincolnshire being demolished.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEHwk...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Here is a video I found on youtube of the Lincolnshire being demolished.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEHwk...eature=related

Drats! You beat me to it.

Over in Windsor we've got an asshat contractor with a similar motto:

"Demolition is Progress".

Attachment 4570

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    I was out of town for Thanksgiving but the Ramp Room was razed on or around November 30th. As of Tuesday, December 15th, the Lincolnshire is gone too.
    And that neat little yellow-brick building on Milwaukee and the service drive also is gone. Looks so ungodly barren over there.

The only time demolition is progress is when some dumpy 3 story tenement is replaced by a 60 story tower. In reality, they should call it "sign of the times."

Here is an interesting Street view experience that is quite Detroit. I was comparing older aerials to modern day looking at how many structures are gone today compared to as recently as 1981. I cant imagine with the amount of missing structures that Detroits population has been accurate for the last 30 years. Probably far less than any census or estimate. Anyways I found this quite interesting. This is yet another empty destroyed apartment building. To be fair im sure it was not salvageable or even worth the dirt it was on in this part of town. When you hit the cross street it is gone.

Here

View Larger Map

Gone

View Larger Map

Can we just demo the whole f*cking city? I mean everything. Lose the streets, trees, and anything they anybody might remember. Then we can rename the city Northeast Dearborn or South Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by fareastsider View Post
    Here is an interesting Street view experience that is quite Detroit. I was comparing older aerials to modern day looking at how many structures are gone today compared to as recently as 1981. I cant imagine with the amount of missing structures that Detroits population has been accurate for the last 30 years. Probably far less than any census or estimate. Anyways I found this quite interesting. This is yet another empty destroyed apartment building. To be fair im sure it was not salvageable or even worth the dirt it was on in this part of town. When you hit the cross street it is gone.

Here

View Larger Map

Gone

View Larger Map

Wow. That's depressing and awesome at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    From an outsider's perspective Detroit's architecture is by the far the best thing it has going for it-those buildings would be an absolute treasure in my part of Texas. Too bad buildings are so expensive to move.

Thanks for posting that, Ocean. You hit the nail on the head, and it is a DAMN shame that the people in charge can't get it through their skulls.

Hotel Devur [[Milwaukee Apartment) is still up. That one I am pretty sad to see go

I caught this thread closing scene on the 18th as the last remains of the DeVur await a final scooping up. The Lincolnshire is long gone, filled in and swept clean.

The Farrow Eagle had landed.

The conqueror shovels with the NBC Building in the background.

hmm, wonder if that nice stonework got saved...
    What's happening with the NBC building? It has a twin in Los Angeles, only blocks from my home, where loftominiums go for up to 1.5 million!

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    "Henry Ford Hospital, Serving the Community", serving the community like a Turkey with all the fixin's.
    "It's a cook book! It's a cook book!" When they finally deciphered the alien's book entitled "How to Serve Man" on an episode of the Twilight Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast