Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
You are incorrect according to the 2010 census for population losses and gains between 2000 and 2010. You are also incorrect according to 2011 census estimates.
Chicago had the nation's second largest decline in population per the 2010 Census. Only Detroit was worse. Are you saying the Census is lying?

There is no 2011 Census, BTW. We only have 2010. There are 2011 sampled ACS estimates, but they have nothing to do with the decennial Census counts. You can't compare one with the other.

Both factual numbers AND last year's estimate validate that claim I made. The US Census shows population gains in neighborhoods that bookend Englewood to the East and West.
The 2010 Census shows massive declines in Englewood, and declines almost everywhere on the South and West Sides. Outside of the Loop and adjacent areas [[which were formerly industrial and now gentrifying, so obviously will show net growth), almost no Chicago neighborhoods showed growth.

Of course the South Loop show massive gains. The South Loop had the greatest construction boom in Chicago between 2000-2010. It logically had massive population gains when you add a bajillion condos.

But the South Loop isn't next to Englewood, and there's no construction boom in Englewood. I don't see why a condo boom in the South Loop back in 2004 would be relevant going forward for Englewood. The South Loop currently has a massive glut of housing.

Please spend time researching 2000-2010 census results for Gage Park, North Woodlawn, and West Lawn. Some of these neighborhoods produced very robust growth in the last decade 5-10% and post recession gains according to the 2011 census.
Again, there is no 2011 Census. This simply doesn't exist. Please show me what you're referring to.

The Census produces no annual counts, and the ACS estimates don't even drill down to the neighborhood level, so I have no idea what you're referring to. They're based on sampled 2% of a jurisdiction, and can't be compared to decennnial enumerated counts.

The overall Latino and Asian populations were stagnant in Chicago from 2000-2010, and Little Village, the largest Mexican community, also had stagnant/slight decline in population. In contrast, the adjacent near west side suburbs had an explosion in Mexican population.

That suggests that Mexican immigrants [[who comprise like 90% of Chicago city proper immigrants) are bypassing the city for the western suburbs. So I don't know why you would think they would magically reverse course and move to black ghettos of the South Side.

Bham1982, I know you don't care for Chicago. And that's fine. I have friends in Michigan that don't like it either.
I do like Chicago, and visit often. Chicago and Toronto are obviously the urban options in this part of the world. But I'm annoyed at the BS that comes out of former Michigan residents doing their stint in Chicago.

Chicago is obviously in much better shape than Detroit. It's obviously undisputed king of the Midwest and one of the greatest cities in the U.S.

But it's in basically worse shape than any other major city in the U.S. not in the Rust Belt. That's why I'm tired at Chicago residents touting their city as a model.

You have this local demographic where people go to, say MSU after having grown up in Macomb Township or wherever, and then move to Lincoln Park for a few years after college, and are shocked you can actually walk to the Cheesecake Factory and McBarleycorn's Frat-tastic Pub. It gets annoying.

Move to Rome or NYC for a few years and then report back to me on the glories of Lakeview.