Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
This is a classic example of different people experiencing different things. Please allow me to give you a couple of examples: My first example was 1 month ago when a friend who moved elsewhere and had read and heard all the hype asked me to,"show me all this stuff I've been hearing about. I want to see it all." Keep in mind it was a beautiful day nearing the end of a work week during lunch hour. After a drive and walk of "everything" one could possibly see in and near Downtown, Midtown and Corktown that included several chuckles the friend simply said,"other than a few new restaurants and your standard yoga and coffee shop found on every corner in any city this place is still shockingly quiet and hasn't changed a bit in 10 years." My second example is summed up by a different friend recently who while walking around in prime Gilbert territory simply said,"I guess a few billion bucks doesn't go as far as it used to..." Not necessarily your truth or mine but those are honest reactions.
As you say, people have whatever reactions they have, but "hasn't changed a bit in 10 years" is objectively wrong, and that true is even if you discount restaurants, coffee shops and yoga studios, although I don't really see why discounting them is appropriate, as they represent a significant improvement. On the other hand, it is certainly true that it is easy to overstate where things currently are, and one danger is that people listen to the hype and then are disappointed by the reality. On the third hand, the reality really is improved, and improving.