Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

...how do people with this much debt apparently still have the financial wherewithal to even attempt to facilitate these kind of elaborate deals? side note- the optics of any political pushback on Strather-- even if deserved, will eventually get muddied up in racial politics. At his press conference he already remarked on having a problem with "outsiders" speculating on properties..
    "I am just like the city of Detroit," Strather said during the press conference at his building, Tower Center Mall in Detroit, a shopping center at Grand River and Greenfield. "I have taken my financial hits."
    Strather runs his own real estate school called Strather Academy. He said he is one of the most experienced developers in Detroit and is best equipped to revitalize the problem properties.
    But Wayne State Law School professor John Mogk said any developer who has a record of not "meeting obligations needs to be looked at carefully. You don't want to have the blight continue.".
    Strather is the registered agent of a company, Apollo Two, that has lost four Detroit properties this year to tax foreclosure; another 85 are at risk for foreclosure next year. Strather said those properties are owned by his real estate students and many of them are on payment plans with the treasurer.
    Strather owes at least $300,000 in state and federal IRS tax liens from 2007-11 and more recent court judgments, according to records filed with the Wayne County Register of Deeds.
    Strather has a $77,000 judgment filed against him this year in Wayne County Circuit Court by Comerica Bank for a defaulted loan.
    "As far as I am concerned they are small," Strather said of the tax debt and judgments, which he said he plans to pay.
    Court records show Strather also owes $24,000 for unpaid rent and fees for a Riverfront Towers apartment that he lived in until 2010 and $25,000 to a Detroit pastor who alleges he wasn't paid for a failed investment.
    Strather and his businesses have been sued in federal court over failed projects and other deals at least five times since 2000, records show. The suits have all been settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...how do people with this much debt apparently still have the financial wherewithal to even attempt to facilitate these kind of elaborate deals?
    I'd guess he is the front man for a group of silent investors. They could be betting there are a few jackpot properties in that haystack, enough to cover costs. Find those, then unload the rest of the parcels for whatever they will fetch and hopefully end up with a profit.

It's risky as there has to be a lot of liability and violations attached to what they acquire. How does one even begin to secure a scattered empire like that?