Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think the issue is going to be the two border collies-- they're not lap dogs. And I'd prefer a house or flat with a yard rather than an apartment for dog-convenience. I think Hamtramck is a great compromise in that it's close enough and safe enough for a single female. I love SW Detroit too, but am not sure I know that area well enough on a 24/7 basis to be able to choose a place to live, and to walk dogs there.

I've no idea how comprehensive this set of rental listings is, and I've noticed that it includes more than Midtown. You might find it interesting to browse through, just to get an idea what's out there. http://midtowndetroitinc.org/live/rent

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    I think the issue is going to be the two border collies-- they're not lap dogs.

That has definitely been the issue. Most apartments want the small yippy lap dogs. While mine think they are lap dogs, they most certainly are not. I've been on that website too and have a list of places that I'm working through. Most of them have been a no so far or they haven't returned my phone calls.

I work in First National but being 15 minutes from it really isn't a big deal, it'd be awesome if I could find a place if not that's ok too. Being 15 minutes from my parking garage in New Center is, the shuttle can take me to my building from the garage.

I love the SW Detroit area, specifically Mexicantown. I walk around down that way a bit too. Most of it isn't too bad. The people are helpful. I'll have to check out some of the stores to see if there are any for rent signs up.

Can I live in Windsor? Lol. My coworker said something about needing visa to be able to live in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post
    I love the SW Detroit area, specifically Mexicantown. I walk around down that way a bit too. Most of it isn't too bad. The people are helpful. I'll have to check out some of the stores to see if there are any for rent signs up.
    What do you find appealing about that area? It has the worst air in Michigan and is probably the biggest drug hotspot in the region. Mexicans live there becauase it's cheap and undocumented, non English-speakers can function within a bubble. Once immigrants gain money and language skills, they're out of there.

gnome, if she is making a good income, the taxes in Windsor would not be pretty - just one consideration - not to mention the legality of living in another country -

North End is closer to New Center than Hamtramck. It's nice and chill and lower density than Hamtramck, which to me seems like would make it more dog-friendly. Nothing against Hamtown. I do like spending time there; I'm just reppin my own hood.

When you're ready to "buy" consider the Boston-Edison Historic Area. Those big houses are generally well-preserved, and dogs are always welcome. When I lived at 750 Chicago Blvd. many years ago, we had a German Shepherd [[named 'Mo') that the neighborhood kids loved.

Quote Originally Posted by tgw51 View Post
    When you're ready to "buy" consider the Boston-Edison Historic Area. Those big houses are generally well-preserved, and dogs are always welcome. When I lived at 750 Chicago Blvd. many years ago, we had a German Shepherd [[named 'Mo') that the neighborhood kids loved.
    Boston edison is drop dead pretty.

Funny you meantioned your shepard, we have one who is stunning looking. Took a stroll the other day and it started to pour down rain. Went to the corner store So I took him in with me. They don't serve food so not illegal. The few customers in there and the "staff" behind Glass, poured out to pet him. Shepards are great dogs.

Did tell me polietly though, don't bring him in again. Next time I'll take the pit bull. I hate people telling me I can't. when I can. I am plain subbborn.
    Last edited by sumas; May-06-15 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Did tell me polietly though, don't bring him in again. Next time I'll take the pit bull. I hate people telling me I can't. when I can. I am plain subbborn.
    If the shopkeeper has politely asked you not to bring your dog into his store the polite thing to do would be to follow his wishes. His store is his private property and it is his right to disallow dogs on the premises unless the animal is a trained and certified service animal.

Also, you are exposing the shopkeeper to legal liability if your dog bites an employee or customer. It is not right to subject him to the financial risk. Liquor stores are no place for dogs.

You have the right to be stubborn if that makes you feel good but that right ends when it effects someone's business and their livelihood.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; May-07-15 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What do you find appealing about that area? It has the worst air in Michigan and is probably the biggest drug hotspot in the region. Mexicans live there becauase it's cheap and undocumented, non English-speakers can function within a bubble. Once immigrants gain money and language skills, they're out of there.
    Dude are you serious?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Dude are you serious?!?!?!
    I'm sure he is, its a typical Detroit-bashing comment as he likes to make. And he gets to throw in xenophobia too, so its a "twofer" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Wow... If I wanted better air quality, I'd move to the country. I happen to be an immigrants rights activist and have spent much of my time in SW helping those Mexican, undocumented, non English speakers. I happen to be fine with the fact they don't speak English. Being in a Spanish speaking community is appealing to me. I love the panaderías, the carnicerías, the restaurants and the mom and pop shops there. As for the drugs, show me the statistics for being the biggest hotspot in the region. Your "probably" sounds like some serious stereotyping or something. I'm looking and the crime statistics from the last month and I see 2 drug charges on the far end of Mexicantown for possession of Marijuana.

Sorry for the late responses. Work has been hectic and I haven't been able to get back on.

As for the parking garage, my company assigns us a garage to be at. We get free parking there and a shuttle is provided to get us to our buildings. That's why I'm tied to it. I could be closer to work if I wanted to pay for parking myself but that gets super expensive and is unnecessary since a spot is provided for me. It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.

Sorry for the late responses. Work has been hectic and I haven't been able to get back on.

As for the parking garage, my company assigns us a garage to be at. We get free parking there and a shuttle is provided to get us to our buildings. That's why I'm tied to it. I could be closer to work if I wanted to pay for parking myself but that gets super expensive and is unnecessary since a spot is provided for me. It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.
    I can understand not being 100% clear if you may be especially busy or a bit rushed here and there [[or more often), so no worries, but I just wanted to clarify this:

You said two things, which I think I understand, but would rather just verify as they seem to not go together:

You said [[1) Your current commute is 1 hour [[one-way I presume) and then you went on to say [[2) “It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.”

Given the locations given [[Romulus, New Center, and Downtown), I would presume that between waiting for and traveling on the shuttle, it adds about ½ hour each way, to your commute, but only takes you about 20-30 minutes to get to the garage or Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by DTownDave22 View Post
    I can understand not being 100% clear if you may be especially busy or a bit rushed here and there [[or more often), so no worries, but I just wanted to clarify this:

You said two things, which I think I understand, but would rather just verify as they seem to not go together:

You said [[1) Your current commute is 1 hour [[one-way I presume) and then you went on to say [[2) “It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.”

Given the locations given [[Romulus, New Center, and Downtown), I would presume that between waiting for and traveling on the shuttle, it adds about ½ hour each way, to your commute, but only takes you about 20-30 minutes to get to the garage or Downtown.

You are correct. To actually get to the garage is only about 25 minutes but having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and then for it to take me to the downtown area takes quite a bit longer. I leave at 7:30-7:45, reach the garage by 8:10-8:15 and then am usually at my desk by 8:55. The shuttle takes forever.

You are correct. To actually get to the garage is only about 25 minutes but having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and then for it to take me to the downtown area takes quite a bit longer. I leave at 7:30-7:45, reach the garage by 8:10-8:15 and then am usually at my desk by 8:55. The shuttle takes forever.
    There are a number of factors that go into your decision.

Some of the main factors that you mention that influences where you can live includes:

1.) Budget

2.) Allowance of dogs of your size [[some apparently have limits after taking a peek at a few properties)

3.) Preferred relative location

While I don't know much about Detroit overall as pertaining to what you are asking about [[primarily rental properties that fit what you are looking for), and for example, if Downtown would be both within your budget or allow dogs the size of your dogs, I wouldn't rule out looking Downtown or nearby [[like along the Detroit River). This would take time, so I understand you wanting to get a bit of input about where to look.

I also primarily asked about parking cost because higher rent areas are expensive for parking. To make an informed decision about commuting cost, you would need to look at the actual cost of owning and driving your car [[insurance, registration, maintenance, fuel) and think about how valuable your time is to you.

If you are very busy, the New Center Parking Garage/shuttle might not be quite as ideal. If you have the time to spare, and don't have as much expendable income, then the New Center Garage/Shuttle may be fine.

Alternate Commuting Options: I also asked about the parking garage/timing because there are alternate options I thought you should consider and didn't even touch on.

Have you seriously considered, at least to pursue down the road after you get settled, looking into alternate options [[in place of or in addition to) for commuting within the city [[both to work and elsewhere) via other options? It might be too much work to weigh your options now, but you could at least consider factoring in how you will get to your job Downtown [[and other points of interest), into where you decide to live, so it remains an option.

Other ways of getting wherever include: Walking, biking, taking the DDOT bus.

Without getting into any real details about the pros and cons and other details [[and there are many to consider), I thought I'd at least ask first, if it's something you have considered and would be open to.
    Last edited by DTownDave22; May-14-15 at 12:20 PM.

Ignore Bham. He's proof a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, the air issues in SW are in Delray near Zug Island. There is nothing wrong with SW in the Clark Park area I have friends that've moved into that area over the last couple of years and they haven't had any issues.
    Last edited by MSUguy; May-05-15 at 10:34 PM.

I support Detroit every where. Friends helped a friend in brightmoor, [[sp) his nook of it, is really cute with ranch style housing. They are thinking of buying there.
    Last edited by sumas; May-05-15 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Ignore Bham. He's proof a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, the air issues in SW are in Delray near Zug Island. There is nothing wrong with SW in the Clark Park area I have friends move in that area over the last couple of years and they haven't had any issues.
    I am involved with many community east area gardens, no noxins. Go figure! We get soil tested

Can I live in Windsor? Lol. My coworker said something about needing visa to be able to live in Canada.
    LOL That's probably the funniest thing I've read. To answer, yes you need a visa and most likely it will be a employer sponsor visa. Seeing as you work in Detroit, it's highly dubious the Canadian government will let you settle in Windsor just for a "shorter" commute. Those tunnel and bridge wait times can be pains...