Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Heck, I'd be happy if Detroit could create a safe haven for anyone!
    Like illegal immigrants?

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Like illegal immigrants?
    Yes, just like anyone else. Any and every group of people deserves protection and services. More time and resources are wasted trying to ascertain who should or shouldn't receive services than just providing the services in the first place.

Lorax Guest

Ferndale was really smart in courting the gay owned businesses, and merchandising to the gay-friendly. It transformed a run-down business strip into something worthwhile getting out of the car for.

Detroit should have done it when there was a critical mass of gay-owned businesses in the Palmer Park area in the 80's. But like every other business, it was only a matter of time before the city ran them out for the thousands of reasons everyone already knows about.

detmich Guest

I am so moved by the positive responses. Is there a way we can create an online petition that we can get people of all types to sign? This would show our unanimity of purpose when it is brought to the city council's attention. The mayor's attention as well. Let's do this, this is how the Riverwalk got started.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Ferndale was really smart in courting the gay owned businesses, and merchandising to the gay-friendly. It transformed a run-down business strip into something worthwhile getting out of the car for.
    Ferndale didn't "court" the gay owned businesses.

It all started when a business owner decided to open up a LGBT friendly bookstore.

"Nothing cures homophobia like the sound of a cash register ringing."

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Ferndale didn't "court" the gay owned businesses.

It all started when a business owner decided to open up a LGBT friendly bookstore.

"Nothing cures homophobia like the sound of a cash register ringing."
    Ferndale definitely "courts" gay business. I'm not surprised that the trend started organically, but the City and existing local business owners intentionally foster a gay-friendly business environment.

6nois said:

"I would tend to say Ferndale's days being the "gay capitol" of the state are somewhat numbered."

Why do you say that? Are you thinking Detroit is next?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    Ferndale definitely "courts" gay business. I'm not surprised that the trend started organically, but the City and existing local business owners intentionally foster a gay-friendly business environment.

6nois said:

"I would tend to say Ferndale's days being the "gay capitol" of the state are somewhat numbered."

yes, in reply to the original post, i was implying that the leaders of ferndale didn't just one day decide that they should court gay friendly businesses. it started organically, and once the residents realized the economic boost to the community, they made it a point to court more. at first the LGBT population wasn't welcomed with open arms, hence the quote within my post.

as far as ferndale's days being numbered -- ferndale is receiving an influx of straight couples between the ages of 20-30. it is only a matter of time before the city becomes gentrified with families to the point that the gay population will be forced to migrate elsewhere.

will it be detroit?? only time will tell. i could see highland park as a possible candidate for many reasons: low property values, cheap houses, beautiful architecture, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post

6nois said:

I say that partly because as Izzy said the influx of straight couples. But even more than that I feel Ferndales days are numbered because Ferndale is largely where more urban oriented queers choose to live and in that respect it was never really a sustainable option for the community. Royal Oak already caters to the more suburban gay market in the region and Ferndale can't compete there because the housing quality is better in R.O. What will happen I can't say for sure, but I feel that with an influx of events and things happening midtown will probably be the largest winner in terms of queer flight from Ferndale.