Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Ah, this fantasy again. Let me correct with some facts:

1. There is no such thing as PRT except on paper. Morgantown's system is just about like the People Mover, it doesn't matter what someone chooses to call it, it's not PRT.

2. Nobody has any idea what PRT would cost since it hasn't ever been built anywhere.

3. Nobody has any idea whether PRT would work since it hasn't ever been built anywhere.

This discussion comes up on DY about every 2 years or so. Enjoy the fantasizing.
    Actually, I am. I also enjoy the fantasy that light rail will save Detroit, but I don't let that stop you guys from believing that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Actually, I am. I also enjoy the fantasy that light rail will save Detroit, but I don't let that stop you guys from believing that, either.
    That's nice. Instead of defending an indefensible, untried, illogical mode of transit, why not mischaracterize the arguments of those you disagree with. Pfffftt...

PRT as a way to monkeywrench traditional transit planning.

http://www.roadkillbill.com/PRT-Cult.html

Personal Rapid Transit [[PRT) is claimed by its promoters [[J. Edward Anderson, President of Taxi 2000 Corporation, and Jerry Schneider of the University of Washington, among others) to combine the advantages of rapid transit and private cars. Actually, this is an imaginary system based on an operationally and economically infeasible concept [[elaborate infrastructure, yet low capacity) and has no realistic potential for application in urban transportation.

-- Vucan R. Vuchic, "Transportation for Livable Cities", Rutgers: Center for Urban Policy Research [[1999), pp. 220-221