Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Art or Trash?

Hybrid View

The expression goes "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere". Of course they were talking about NYC but it might as well apply to Detroit. It's as tough a market as it is a city. I'm okay with the video and I consider Tyree Guyton an artist. Certainly what he's done on Heidelberg St. can be considered controversial but a lot of art is. To inspire conversation is what a lot of artists strive for. I believe MaxSpeed was looking for commentary on Tyree's work and not so much on his video talent. Somehow this thread seems to have evolved to something a little more sinister. This situation rears it's ugly head more times in this forum then I can count. Detroit Yes has turned into Detroit No.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2028 View Post
    I believe MaxSpeed was looking for commentary on Tyree's work and not so much on his video talent. Somehow this thread seems to have evolved to something a little more sinister. .
    Since Mr. Maxspeed's writing is as clear as his filmmaking, you are believing in something not in evidence. Did he intend to spur discussion on street art, or his lensing of it? All we know is what he asked, "Well watch it and post Your opinion... Art or Trash?" and from those words you divine meaning? How?

As far as sinister turnings, 'faid not, the so-called filmmaker asks for opinion. Opinion he got. This ain't t-ball sunshine, not everyone gets a trophy for just showing up.

He wastes my time, insults the city with sub-poor work, insults Guyton, insults this forum and now he wants to chill?

How low are your standards?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Since Mr. Maxspeed's writing is as clear as his filmmaking, you are believing in something not in evidence. Did he intend to spur discussion on street art, or his lensing of it? All we know is what he asked, "Well watch it and post Your opinion... Art or Trash?" and from those words you divine meaning? How?

As far as sinister turnings, 'faid not, the so-called filmmaker asks for opinion. Opinion he got. This ain't t-ball sunshine, not everyone gets a trophy for just showing up.

He wastes my time, insults the city with sub-poor work, insults Guyton, insults this forum and now he wants to chill?
    How low are your standards?
    Jesus, Gnome...I think I'll make a note of your moniker, and keep a watchful eye
    on this forum for your posts. Aren't you being a tad bit harsh? I think people with
    'less than professional' video's trying to make a point are just fine. Maybe you're
    trying to impress us with your 'knowledge' of video formatting...or maybe you have
    something particularly personal against 'maxspeed'....or MAYBE you're just an
    anal idiot, whatever....get over yourself, and try to just comment on the point
    being made. Can you do that, or do you need a 'time-out' ?
    Ps.
    I agree with what C.Young supposedly said. I think it's Art, but I wouldn't want it
    in my neighborhood, and definitely NOT next door to my house.
    But I for sure think it's Art.
    The problem is, there is so much 'trash art' in and around Detroit, by sooo many
    artists, that T. Guyton's art, and message, gets diluted and sometimes convoluted.
    That said, Gnome.....no hard feelings...just please relax...for all our sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Ps.
    I agree with what C.Young supposedly said. I think it's Art, but I wouldn't want it
    in my neighborhood, and definitely NOT next door to my house.
    But I for sure think it's Art.
    The problem is, there is so much 'trash art' in and around Detroit, by sooo many
    artists, that T. Guyton's art, and message, gets diluted and sometimes convoluted.
    Agreed. Good point and good comments.