Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    .... and people are complaining that assembling something here isn't Detroit enough?
    that isn't what's being said. I wish people would stop saying that it is. This is Kid Rock screaming about how detroit he is while growing up in Romeo and making his beer in Webberville and his Made in Detroit label in Warren. At some point can't we call people out for being poseurs?

What is being said is this group is claiming some "detroitness" some tie to american manufacturing that the world says Detroit can't do... But what ARE they doing? Nothing that can't be done literally ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD.

There is nothing...none...zilch...that makes Shinola a "detroit" thing OTHER than this is where they decided to set up shop to put all the pieces they sourced elsewhere together... and apparently did so based on market testing the Detroit "brand".

and for the eleventybillionth time that is not saying they are not a net positive for the employment picture. Just making a rather small point about the marketing [[and insane markup) and silliness of it.

I'm saying Shinola's...like Bob Ritchie's... "made in detroit" claim is literally a meaningless statement at this point because it is a marketing contrivance. Maybe in the age of globalism "made in {_____}" is always meaningless. Again though, as I've stated before, all I want to see is some connection to Detroit, some link, that makes the whole shtick have some meaning. If these people from Texas found "Made in Gary, IN" market tested better and carried more cache than Detroit.....they'd be in Gary.

That is all.
    Last edited by bailey; April-08-14 at 12:45 PM.