Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I have being robbed before in the ghettoes of Detroit 4 times. I'm not going to play cop, detective or Superman. The best you can do is look and report.

And If you do get robbed and hopefully the prep doesn't kill you! The report to the police immediately! [[Even through there is a lack of security which is an illusion.) After that cope, hope and pray that God's grace save your life.

Default Move

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I have being robbed before in the ghettoes of Detroit 4 times. I'm not going to play cop, detective or Superman. The best you can do is look and report.

And If you do get robbed and hopefully the prep doesn't kill you! The report to the police immediately! [[Even through there is a lack of security which is an illusion.) After that cope, hope and pray that God's grace save your life.
    If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!
    Now THERE's the spirit that made Detroit what it is today. Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions! Move, and withdraw your resources and support, so the neighborhood will go from property crime to violent crime, while you move off to the next neighborhood, which will be tomorrow's slum, because when the going gets tough ...

... MOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions!
    Defending yourself against property crime often leads to a lawsuit against yourself by the perps, or the families of the perps.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Defending yourself against property crime often leads to a lawsuit against yourself by the perps, or the families of the perps.
    Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city. What kind of man are you? Scared that the CHUD's family is going to sue you? That's the best you can do? Seriously?

Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city.
    "It's a terrible tragedy, <name here> never hurt anyone and never meant anyone harm. A victim of Detroit's crushing poverty and the EFM's draconian cuts in city services. Now he has been cut down in the prime of his life by a gun-toting vigilante lunatic. You do *not* have a right to take someone's life in defense of your home, sir. All we are calling for is justice for my client."

--Geoffrey Feiger, in a future press conference [[if the person defending his/her home is rich)

Chicago48If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!

Now THERE's the spirit that made Detroit what it is today. Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions! Move, and withdraw your resources and support, so the neighborhood will go from property crime to violent crime, while you move off to the next neighborhood, which will be tomorrow's slum, because when the going gets tough ...

... MOVE!
    Originally Posted by JBMcB
    Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city. What kind of man are you? Scared that the CHUD's family is going to sue you? That's the best you can do? Seriously?
    You are a fucking ridiculous person.
    Last edited by bailey; March-18-13 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You are a fucking ridiculous person.
    Hahaha. That's pretty good. I admit, in all seriousness, I am being ridiculous. I love overstating on this board for effect, and trying a little comedy is nothing new for me.

Frankly, if any of my friends want to leave the city for the suburbs, I never say boo to them. Sometimes they're really apologetic about the subject, and I tell them to forget it. If you don't feel safe, that's enough for me. I won't give you any trouble. If you're a really good friend, I'll help you move.

And yet, yes, underneath all this, is the sense that we can move away from our problems, and that this is our consistent local answer to social ills. Individual people moving away from a place is understandable. Even several people moving away from that place is normal in touch times. But for that to be our answer in every instance? You'll end up with sprawling ghettoes and ever-more distant, diffuse settlement patterns. Neighborhoods that are protected survive.

But see how this thread goes? I lived in New York City and my apartment was broken into. Should I have moved? The police were there to fill out the report right away. The neighbors gave my lady friend a ride in their car to look for our lost dog, which we found.

Property crime is a fact of life. There are many measures that can be taken before one decides to withdraw one's resources and energy from a community. Might even be an impetus to join the neighborhood watch, meet with your precinct captain, install motion detectors on your lights, invest in some home defense.

It's not for everyone, I know. But if that's our knee-jerk reaction, to move after any property crime, it's not that way everywhere. In other cities, in other neighborhoods, the people who live there defend it and work closely with police and run citizens' patrols. If I moved every time I had a break-in, by that rationale I'd have had to move out of New York City even when I really enjoyed it.

... MOVE!

But what exactly is your solution to the problem when block clubs or barricading your property are simply not enough? Oh sure, property crime does happen everywhere, I completely agree. And I do agree it's a bit of knee jerk reaction to say "Move now." That is unless being a victim is always on your mind. That's at least what I heard from people that have moved to Atlanta and constantly tell me how much better their lifestyle is. Maybe it's a false sense of security...they can still be broken into. But I would guess that the problems in Detroit take a strong psychological toll on its residents.