Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Coleman Young was probably the last mayor I think Detroiters truly felt in tuned with.

While some may not have liked Young's style, he certainly didn't let anyone walk over him like Bing and Archer. He always made sure at least some of his demands and the demands of his citizens were met, the city's budget was at least balanced and city services were at least functional.

Detroiters liked Kwame for a second [[during his first term), but any approval the majority of Detroiters had for him the first 4 years was completely wiped out by the shenanigans in his 2nd term.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Coleman Young was probably the last mayor I think Detroiters truly felt in tuned with.

While some may not have liked Young's style, he certainly didn't let anyone walk over him like Bing and Archer. He always made sure at least some of his demands and the demands of his citizens were met, the city's budget was at least balanced and city services were at least functional.

Detroiters liked Kwame for a second [[during his first term), but any approval the majority of Detroiters had for him the first 4 years was completely wiped out by the shenanigans in his 2nd term.
    The City of Detroit went further downhill during CAY's terms in office then any of the mayors who were elected after him. When young first took office, the city was still fully functional and livable. When he finally left office this city looked pretty much as it does now.

Don't tell me that any of the above sentences aren't true. I saw it all happen right in front of my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The City of Detroit went further downhill during CAY's terms in office then any of the mayors who were elected after him. When young first took office, the city was still fully functional and livable. When he finally left office this city looked pretty much as it does now.

Don't tell me that any of the above sentences aren't true. I saw it all happen right in front of my eyes.
    While what you say is true I think you fail to put what was happening in Detroit at the time in its proper context. There were many things happening in Detroit at the time that impacted the city negatively that CAY had little to do with. We were seven years past the riots and white flight was still going strong, blockbusting and redlining in the neighborhoods. Drugs all of the sudden became plentiful in most major cities including Detroit. As far as the city being functional and liveable, much of that depended on your point of view, the neighborhood you lived in and your skin color. Could CAY have slowed the progress of the city's decline. I kind of doubt it. The disinvestment in the city's neighborhoods was already too great.

I liked Al Cobo. He was a good tipper when I checked him into the Grand Hotel. And Dennis Archer ran a pretty clean shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Coleman Young looked out for the residents of Detroit while Dave Bing is looking out for the corporations, and other entities that are anti residents of Detroit