Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Occurrence Guest

I've been reading DEMF wasn't even allowing people to bring water in. I'm wondering why anyone would support this festival now. That's pretty pathetic, especially for an event that use to be free.

Been to every one - this year had some stellar AV equipment, and with the orientation of the main stage, I'm not surprised the Pointes caught some of the fun. Maybe Ford Auditorium was a blast shield in years past....

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I've been reading DEMF wasn't even allowing people to bring water in. I'm wondering why anyone would support this festival now. That's pretty pathetic, especially for an event that use to be free.
    I've been reading that too. And as usual, wasn't that hard to bring water in. Also read that DSLRs were being turned away at the gate, not true. Also read that the customary chalking of the plaza was being killed by the Paxa-man, have plenty of pictures to the contrary.

Why would anyone support this? Maybe to hear some good music, or be exposed to music you've not heard before, or to support local artists that either performed or organized the event? Spare me the whining about having to pay for it - I'll gladly pay to ensure that a world-class event is guaranteed year after year, with the artists guaranteed to be paid, over the sad sight of Derrick May gathering cash donations in at the end of the fest in 2004. Do I love everything about the current incarnation? No, but being able to hear KMS and Jeff Mills on a gorgeous night outweighs the dubstep stage that I'm too old to get. Have to say, if I were the 20-something now I was when I went to my first, I'm pretty sure I'd be in awe of what it is.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post

Why would anyone support this? Maybe to hear some good music, or be exposed to music you've not heard before, or to support local artists that either performed or organized the event? Spare me the whining about having to pay for it - I'll gladly pay to ensure that a world-class event is guaranteed year after year, with the artists guaranteed to be paid, over the sad sight of Derrick May gathering cash donations in at the end of the fest in 2004. Do I love everything about the current incarnation? No, but being able to hear KMS and Jeff Mills on a gorgeous night outweighs the dubstep stage that I'm too old to get. Have to say, if I were the 20-something now I was when I went to my first, I'm pretty sure I'd be in awe of what it is.
    Well since you went and I didn't, I can't really argue. I have heard a lot of stories around the interwebs of people not being allowed to bring water in. Maybe it was B.S or maybe they weren't trying hard enough. Even the corporate whores at Comerica Park let you bring your own water, so I hope it's not true. I'm assume they make enough with ticket sales now where they could let you bring in your own coolers, but that would cut into their profits too much.