Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'm not going to complain that this is happening. But I think the options described in the RFP were very sensible.

The options described in the RFP had the urban design and housing typologies of a proper urban neighborhood. Homes with direct entrances on the street, private backyards, and a park with play equipment and sports fields. The type of quiet ordinary place with the right features and amenities that a young family would want to live there.

That area is predominantly residential and it's within walking distance to good schools. I thought it would be a great opportunity to make a high quality urban family oriented development.

Based on these renderings this is a yuppie filling cabinet, contrived to make it seem exciting and urban. The mews section for example has a good sense of scale and good materials, but there's not going to be a lively urban scene there, because despite some entrances to units being there, the typology, the fixed design, the type of ownership, and the type of people living there, it's not a situation where people take ownership of their portion of the street and give it life. Elsewhere there are parks and "green space", and they'll look nice on the occasion that someone is walking through them, because there's nothing actually to do in those places. They're dead spaces dressed up like intimate urbanism.

Places like this also exist in cities, but I thought this would be a great opportunity to build a neighborhood and not just X hundred new units. This is also much better than similar developments in Detroit. So this is still all good news. The RFP got my hopes up is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'm not going to complain that this is happening. But I think the options described in the RFP were very sensible.

The options described in the RFP had the urban design and housing typologies of a proper urban neighborhood. Homes with direct entrances on the street, private backyards, and a park with play equipment and sports fields. The type of quiet ordinary place with the right features and amenities that a young family would want to live there.

That area is predominantly residential and it's within walking distance to good schools. I thought it would be a great opportunity to make a high quality urban family oriented development.

Based on these renderings this is a yuppie filling cabinet, contrived to make it seem exciting and urban. The mews section for example has a good sense of scale and good materials, but there's not going to be a lively urban scene there, because despite some entrances to units being there, the typology, the fixed design, the type of ownership, and the type of people living there, it's not a situation where people take ownership of their portion of the street and give it life. Elsewhere there are parks and "green space", and they'll look nice on the occasion that someone is walking through them, because there's nothing actually to do in those places. They're dead spaces dressed up like intimate urbanism.

Places like this also exist in cities, but I thought this would be a great opportunity to build a neighborhood and not just X hundred new units. This is also much better than similar developments in Detroit. So this is still all good news. The RFP got my hopes up is all.
    Are you really saying building some townhomes is better than a denser mixed used development?
    This will extended and compliment the coming retail and residential developments along Selden between 2nd and 3rd. The options in the RFP didn't do that. The density of this development will do far to create lively neighborhood.