Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I want to see them bring back the plan from the late 80's and turn the area into a public campgrounds and state park.

Whose with me now???
    I agree, to a certain extent. Although a campground, I think, would be a little shady. A large state park would be nice, but also Palmer Park is so close and neglected.

It is sort of depressing that
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years," when every suburb has a strip mall containing the same exact stores.

Although it will be a good thing to keep people from traveling out of the city, I think it represents the wrong kind of thinking about what is a significant development. We need urban neighborhoods, urban parks, urban transit, and so on. Not a replica of the suburbs when there is already plenty of suburban crap to meet our demands.

The most significant retail development would be the revitalization of Lower Woodward into a thriving urban shopping district. Much less bringing back neighborhood scale retail districts that are basically non-existent in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I agree, to a certain extent. Although a campground, I think, would be a little shady. A large state park would be nice, but also Palmer Park is so close and neglected.

It is sort of depressing that
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years," when every suburb has a strip mall containing the same exact stores.

Although it will be a good thing to keep people from traveling out of the city, I think it represents the wrong kind of thinking about what is a significant development. We need urban neighborhoods, urban parks, urban transit, and so on. Not a replica of the suburbs when there is already plenty of suburban crap to meet our demands.

The most significant retail development would be the revitalization of Lower Woodward into a thriving urban shopping district. Much less bringing back neighborhood scale retail districts that are basically non-existent in Detroit.
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years,"

I don't even think that's accurate. First of all, "significant" is so subjective, but if you look at the past 15 years I would say the Cass Corridor. You have new businesses sprouting up every few months in an area that 20 years ago was the highly undesirable [[to some people) Cass Corridor. Now you have, for lack of a better word, momentum, of business driving housing, and housing driving business, with of course WSU and the Cultural Center attractions helping things along. It is also almost entirely urban in design, and undoubtedly the most "urban" place in Michigan. Also probably the only place you can survive quite comfortably without a car. All of this is the OPPOSITE of this garbage suburban development that is so ubiquitous in our grey, flat, mostly charmless parking lot of a region.

Detroit has strip malls all over, with varying degrees of success. They're all equally immemorable and haven't slowed Detroit's decline in the least.