Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Maybe there just isn't the demand for a 4-5 star hotel downtown that we think is needed. Ilitch promised a hotel near the LCA [[I know, I know it's Ilitch) but I'm certain they would like a premier hotel near the arena and ballpark. There have been stories a couple of years ago about The Westin struggling as well. Despite the growth of Quicken's companies there still are very few medium to large corporations downtown that require business travellers with healthy expense accounts.
    What stories about the Westin? I've never heard of the Westin struggling. It doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel and I don't think it's intended to either, I think Shinola has that ultra luxury niche covered which is why they built it. The Ilitches are scammers. They're the last developer you could hold up as some kind of litmus test.

The fact is Detroit hotel vacancy rates are some of the lowest in the country and demand for hotels and business meeting space is extremely high which is the opposite of what you're trying to say might be. I think the hotel portion is the least likely thing to be skeptical about.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    What stories about the Westin? I've never heard of the Westin struggling.
    I concur... the Westin Renaissance Center was not struggling. It just so happens that when GM bought the RenCen back 20 or so years ago... one of the members of the GM board was the Chairman of Marriott Corp. And he used his influence on the GM Board of Directors to boot Westin out of the RenCen, and replace it with a Marriott Hotel.