Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know if "shrewd" is quite the adjective I'd use........
    Shrewd as in terms of calculating. The rest of the City has more votes than the fancy pants neighborhoods. The same tactic was used effectively against Hendrix who lived in Rosedale Park and went to a 'Catholic' church!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Shrewd as in terms of calculating. The rest of the City has more votes than the fancy pants neighborhoods. The same tactic was used effectively against Hendrix who lived in Rosedale Park and went to a 'Catholic' church!
    I know, DP, more of my misguided humor. I would like to see someone, doesn't matter what ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc., they are, in office, who'll start leading Detroit correctly, and in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    "It's our Detroit, and we're going to keep it for Detroiters," Napoleon said from the pulpit of New Bethel Baptist Church.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2GqVOxdM1
    [/LEFT]
    The man is obviouslly full of angst toward the big bad white man who lurks outside the real Detroit...yeah he would be a great choice for the city - forward thinking he is not. Ya gotta love people who feed off and perpetuate racial division. Who needs a tax base anyway.

Kwame could have - and did - say the exact same shit about coming up and living in the city. We all know how well that worked out.

The man may be acting like a retard, but that doesn't mean he is one. I think he understands full well that many of the neighborhoods like Palmer Woods, Rosedale, Corktown, Indian Village, East English Village, etc., may in large part go to Duggan. They see the change in Detroit they would like to see.

The more hard-scrabble neighborhoods have in recent decades resented those places that maintained some semblance of a middle class existence. He's playing off that. He's going all-in with the grassroots game. These are straight up JoAnn Watson, Reverend David Murray maneuvers. Hell, let's include George W. Bush in that while we're at it. Play on the fears, anger, and resentment of the least-educated and most disadvantaged.

What's galling in a different way is that every neighborhood - even Palmer Woods - has, in the past 5 years at least, felt the pain traditionally felt by the poorer neighborhoods. Remember the squatter nut in Palmer Woods? Romney's childhood home was demolished because it was beyond salvaging. You think they're getting a different Police Department or school system?

So clearly Benny isn't as in touch with the city as he claims to be. Otherwise he'd understand that we're all catching hell here, even if our houses aren't falling down.

I'm a real Detroiter. I live in the city of fucking Detroit in a modest home and pay my taxes. I shovel my sidewalks and watch out for my neighbors. And I'm sure as hell not voting for this dirtbag charlatan. Duggan for Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Kwame could have - and did - say the exact same shit about coming up and living in the city. We all know how well that worked out.

The man may be acting like a retard, but that doesn't mean he is one. I think he understands full well that many of the neighborhoods like Palmer Woods, Rosedale, Corktown, Indian Village, East English Village, etc., may in large part go to Duggan. They see the change in Detroit they would like to see.

The more hard-scrabble neighborhoods have in recent decades resented those places that maintained some semblance of a middle class existence. He's playing off that. He's going all-in with the grassroots game. These are straight up JoAnn Watson, Reverend David Murray maneuvers. Hell, let's include George W. Bush in that while we're at it. Play on the fears, anger, and resentment of the least-educated and most disadvantaged.

What's galling in a different way is that every neighborhood - even Palmer Woods - has, in the past 5 years at least, felt the pain traditionally felt by the poorer neighborhoods. Remember the squatter nut in Palmer Woods? Romney's childhood home was demolished because it was beyond salvaging. You think they're getting a different Police Department or school system?

So clearly Benny isn't as in touch with the city as he claims to be. Otherwise he'd understand that we're all catching hell here, even if our houses aren't falling down.

I'm a real Detroiter. I live in the city of fucking Detroit in a modest home and pay my taxes. I shovel my sidewalks and watch out for my neighbors. And I'm sure as hell not voting for this dirtbag charlatan. Duggan for Mayor.
    I've lived in Detroit just about my whole life. I've been reading DY for years. I've said it before, and @ the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it again. Until you get the right people into City government, [[AND I don't necessarily mean "white"), and start making the changes that need to be made to Detroit, everything else is just fluff and icing. If things stay the way they are, I can see the 40% population exodus prediction come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've lived in Detroit just about my whole life. I've been reading DY for years. I've said it before, and @ the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it again. Until you get the right people into City government, [[AND I don't necessarily mean "white"), and start making the changes that need to be made to Detroit, everything else is just fluff and icing. If things stay the way they are, I can see the 40% population exodus prediction come true.
    Its no were near as simple as the right person making the right changes. Just think about what happened under Bing's administration. Deep and painful cuts were necessary to keep the city from who knows what. Nobody is willing to loan Detroit money at this point. Correct me if im wrong on that. Detroit required the state stepping in which they seemed willing to do as long as Detroit jumped thru some hoops. I sort of saw it as the state insisting the city make changes so this arrangement would be temporary and the city would become self sufficient again. As opposed to a green light to do business as usual with the state indefinitely covering the difference. If you don't change what you were doing how could you expect any different outcome. Long story short the changes that were made happened at a snails pace, money was withheld, and the city is still deep in the shit. I guess what im getting at here. Detroit has a money problem. No matter who is running the show it will have a money problem and when the new mayor has to start trimming the fat [[if there is any left) he will end up getting stonewalled too. My guess is Duggan will get even less cooperation from Council. So Duggan is a business man with leadership qualities and Napoleon is a cop. These are entirely different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Its no were near as simple as the right person making the right changes. Just think about what happened under Bing's administration. Deep and painful cuts were necessary to keep the city from who knows what. Nobody is willing to loan Detroit money at this point. Correct me if im wrong on that. Detroit required the state stepping in which they seemed willing to do as long as Detroit jumped thru some hoops. I sort of saw it as the state insisting the city make changes so this arrangement would be temporary and the city would become self sufficient again. As opposed to a green light to do business as usual with the state indefinitely covering the difference. If you don't change what you were doing how could you expect any different outcome. Long story short the changes that were made happened at a snails pace, money was withheld, and the city is still deep in the shit. I guess what im getting at here. Detroit has a money problem. No matter who is running the show it will have a money problem and when the new mayor has to start trimming the fat [[if there is any left) he will end up getting stonewalled too. My guess is Duggan will get even less cooperation from Council. So Duggan is a business man with leadership qualities and Napoleon is a cop. These are entirely different perspectives.
    Rex, your post is more or less in perspective with Detroit's situation. However, @ no time did I post, nor do I feel, that "one person makes the right choices". I've seen way too much politics to believe in the single savior theory. If you reread my post, I said "the right people into City government". I read all these happy, feel-good, pop-up postings, and that's wonderful. But there are rudimentary problems, as you pointed out, with Detroit, it's leadership, and safety, that, unless these issues are addressed, I don't believe serious growth will happen. Bringing about THAT kind of change should be the concentrated effort of the people remaining in Detroit that still really give a damn.

Kwame could have - and did - say the exact same shit about coming up and living in the city.
    I went to middle school with him - in Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    I went to middle school with him - in Lansing.
    Poobert or Kwame?

Excellent point! I'd included some others who play on the fears, resentment etc of the least educated etc. but that's another subject

Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-13 at 11:36 PM.