Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Ok, smartass! I still stand by my statement. MOST of the people that died in the "car accidents" figure, died during normal course of business, not an attack like the link in your post. I'd like to know how the people in the "died from gunshots" figures died. I still think that's an arbitrary statement used to justify the design, building of, and release, and sales of a certain type of weapon.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-22-13 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, smartass! I still stand by my statement. MOST of the people that died in the "car accidents" figure, died during normal course of business, not an attack like the link in your post. I'd like to know how the people in the "died from gunshots" figures died. I still think that's an arbitrary statement used to justify the design, building of, and release, and sales of a certain type of weapon.

And what percentage of the people shot in Detroit in any given year were shot in "the normal course of business" as opposed to a serial killing?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wasn't trying to justify anything; just merely addressing the fact that, on a national level, more people die from auto accidents. Not sure the manner in which they died is relevant - dead is dead. Ask their family if they feel comforted because their love one died in an auto accident when traveling to work. Also, wasn't Detroit considered the "Arsenal of Democracy" when it was pumping out military weapons during WWII? I'm sure a "few" innocent lives were taken during a carpet bombing by a B-2 bomber built at Willow Run, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit68 View Post
    I wasn't trying to justify anything; just merely addressing the fact that, on a national level, more people die from auto accidents. Not sure the manner in which they died is relevant - dead is dead. Ask their family if they feel comforted because their love one died in an auto accident when traveling to work. Also, wasn't Detroit considered the "Arsenal of Democracy" when it was pumping out military weapons during WWII? I'm sure a "few" innocent lives were taken during a carpet bombing by a B-2 bomber built at Willow Run, but I digress.
    Before you go off half-cocked, [[pun intended), my reply wasn't aimed @ you, [[I crack myself up), specifically, as it was @ the statement " more people die from auto accidents each year than gun shots!" If even MORE guns were available and used more frequently to match the number of "autos" and the frequency with which they're used, I'm sure that ratio would change dramatically. I have friends that range from gun owners, [[I myself am one), to avid gun collectors, to staunch, die-hard NRA members. I've had this discussion SO many times, I DON'T care to have it again. I don't think guns should be taken away, I do think "when guns are outlawed, outlaws will have guns", but I also feel there needs to be more serious regulation and control, just like buying automobiles and being issued drivers licenses, then their currently is. Again, I can't conceal an automobile, bring it into a classroom, and waste 35 people. NOW, that we're done with that, YES, Snyder SHOULD make every effort to locate gun manufacturing here in MI. This area, back in the day, used to be the pinnacle of engineering excellence, and I'm there is enough know how and skill left, to produce a first-class product. The manufacturers themselves though, should make every effort to provide a safe, secure environment, so that there isn't a repeat of Fast & Furious, where weapons are stolen and released unaccounted for into the general public.

Point #2: I too have lost friends and family to both gun violence and automobile accidents, I know intimently what it's like to feel the pain and grief of loss, so please don't take my post out of context and rub my nose in it. Ok? Thanx.