Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
http://gizmodo.com/salt-lake-city-wa...-of-1736102058

I thought this might be an interesting idea to bring some instant density to parts of some of the 8 lane surface roads around here. Sort of supercharge the blocks that are starting to thrive. Michigan ave from say the lodge to Roosevelt Park... without a stadium there is there really a need for michigan to be 8 lanes? get rid of street parking and you'd still have 4.
I don't know why everyone on this site is so enamored with high density housing and the fantasy of how wonderful riding mass transit would be. Have any of you ever lived like this? Let me tell you, a few months of living with hundreds of people in your building and running for buses in the rain and snow, riding packed subways in the middle of July and missing transfers due to system problems gets really old, really fast.

Detroiters should be very thankful we have something here which a lot of cities don't. That's SPACE. Even during the heyday, the city was a series of suburban-like neighborhoods, schools and shopping areas all of which were very nice. I don't see anything wrong with that being a vision for the future.

Living in a big, overcrowded city isn't the dream a lot of people on here think it is so why try to make Detroit into one?