Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    It's reality. Just as black people have to worry about themselves around cops, white people have to worry about themselves when in predominately black areas. Ask Steve Utash, he'd probably agree.
    Whoa......

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Whoa......
    So you're telling me that you honestly believe that white people don't have to worry about going through black neighborhoods? You don't think Steve Utash's near-death beating had anything to do with race?

I think all racism is bad. The racism that still exists that black people are the victims of, as well as the other way around. We can deny it, or we can recognize that it does exist, it's a bad thing, and do our best to teach our children to be better.

So you're telling me that you honestly believe that white people don't have to worry about going through black neighborhoods? You don't think Steve Utash's near-death beating had anything to do with race?

I think all racism is bad. The racism that still exists that black people are the victims of, as well as the other way around. We can deny it, or we can recognize that it does exist, it's a bad thing, and do our best to teach our children to be better.
    The only thing I'm thinking is that your comment is pretty racist.

The only thing I'm thinking is that your comment is pretty racist.
    What part of it is racist, and how so? Be specific, and quote my words exactly.

Here's my comment:

Just as black people have to worry about themselves around cops, white people have to worry about themselves when in predominately black areas. Ask Steve Utash, he'd probably agree.
    I acknowledge that black people aren't treated fairly by cops, and also point out that white people may not be treated fairly when in predominately black neighborhoods. I then point out the specific example of Steve Utash who was nearly beat to death by a mob of black people. Steve Utash is white. I believe that Steve's beating was racially motivated.

It doesn't mean that all cops are racist. It doesn't mean that all black people are racist. It means that there are some folks out there that are, and you have to be careful in certain situations.

Here's my comment:

I acknowledge that black people aren't treated fairly by cops, and also point out that white people may not be treated fairly when in predominately black neighborhoods. I then point out the specific example of Steve Utash who was nearly beat to death by a mob of black people. Steve Utash is white. I believe that Steve's beating was racially motivated.

It doesn't mean that all cops are racist. It doesn't mean that all black people are racist. It means that there are some folks out there that are, and you have to be careful in certain situations.
    It's racist, bro. If you don't understand why then that's your problem, not mine.

It's racist, bro. If you don't understand why then that's your problem, not mine.
    Sounds like you're taking the coward's way out of an intelligent conversation. I would honestly like to know why you feel what I said was racist. I was pointing out situation where people are the victims of racism. I don't think it's right, but it exists, and I don't think you have to be racist to realize that.

Here is her updated FB status:

CORRECTION TO ALMOST EVERY NEWS STORY OUT THERE:
    I was with my family this week. A black SUV was parked running in front of our vehicle when we approached our car. As we were loading into the car, one of the passengers jumped out of the black suv, jumped INTO my driver's seat -went for keys [[they were with me outside passenger side) they then grabbed my large work bag NOT purse from where they were sitting in my car. It contained my laptop and several other items. Jumped into the black SUV and drove off.

I called 911 -I then walked a block to Where police were.

It's unfortunate that the news decided to run their own version. It kind of reminds of that game telephone we played in Junior High

Be safe -be aware. And thank you for all the emails, texts, phone calls of concern.

Sounds like a very polite STFU.

Here's my comment:

she was, supposedly, at griswold and Larned after Jazz Fest. it's not a neighborhood its the CBD.. and I'd bet money the CBD is not predominantly "black"...just from my observation of the daily make up of the CBD and who lives in what little residential there is there.

So is your point that white women aren't safe in any part of Detroit because it's 80% black as whole?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    she was, supposedly, at griswold and Larned after Jazz Fest. it's not a neighborhood its the CBD.. and I'd bet money the CBD is not predominantly "black"...just from my observation of the daily make up of the CBD and who lives in what little residential there is there.

So is your point that white women aren't safe in any part of Detroit because it's 80% black as whole?
    Nope. My statement wasn't specific to her case. We kind of got off on a tangent.

In Cutris' case, race was probably NOT a motivating factor.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Just chiming in here because I am a white woman and this is a mostly-male forum...

When you are a woman of any race, you have to fear for your own safety ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Add extra points if...
    1. You are alone, or if you are with small children
    2. It's night
    3. You are carrying a purse or bag
    4. You are in a parking lot/garage
    5. You are in a place with nooks and niches where you can't see if anybody's there [[i.e. an alleyway)
    6. You are in a bar or at a frat party or some other place where a lot of people are drinking
    7. You are in a high crime neighborhood
    8. You are in a place where drugs are regularly bought or sold
    9. You are in a place where sex is regularly bought or sold
    10. There are no "eyes upon the street"
    11. There's nobody who will hear you if you scream
    12. You're in a place where if something happens to you and people do see it, they won't talk to the police