Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

While at WSU I took a class at the Troy Historical Museum and Village taught by curator Loraine Campbell. It was one of the best classes I have ever been a part of due to the excellent teaching and environment. Someone at the museum metioned [[few years ago) that some asshole on the Troy City Council said that if people wanted books then they could simply go to a bookstore and that there is simply no need for a library. That was the prevailing view of some of the asshats in power.

When ~~~~~~~~~s from Troy rip on Detroit, a Detroiter can respond by mentioned that Detroit has many libraries and values books and information for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    While at WSU I took a class at the Troy Historical Museum and Village taught by curator Loraine Campbell. It was one of the best classes I have ever been a part of due to the excellent teaching and environment. Someone at the museum metioned [[few years ago) that some asshole on the Troy City Council said that if people wanted books then they could simply go to a bookstore and that there is simply no need for a library. That was the prevailing view of some of the asshats in power..
    Remember that folks on city councils and commissions are faced with limitless "needs" and limited resources. What was the context of the remark? Were they deciding whether or not to fund a library versus funding an athletic and recreation facility? I am a firm believer in libraries though I do not see eye to eye with the current crop of librarians. I think that a library should be a repository of knowledge. Current librarians want to trash a book if no one has checked it out for a year.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Remember that folks on city councils and commissions are faced with limitless "needs" and limited resources. What was the context of the remark? Were they deciding whether or not to fund a library versus funding an athletic and recreation facility? I am a firm believer in libraries though I do not see eye to eye with the current crop of librarians. I think that a library should be a repository of knowledge. Current librarians want to trash a book if no one has checked it out for a year.
    It's a matter of limited space for most libraries. No library has the unlimited space that you suggest is needed. And in this day and age, digitizing has put millions of texts within the grasp of countless people.

I think the problem would easily be solved it the Troy city council would stop holding their citizens hostage, and have a targetted millage specifically for the library, instead of the broad brush approach.

And I really feel for those poor souls that are soon to be without a library in Troy. They better pony up the 100 bucks for a card elsewhere. There isn't a free ride. If I have to pay, everyone has to pay.
    Last edited by Stosh; May-17-10 at 08:08 PM.