Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think one can reasonably hold both views here: that carjacking is despicable and this guy deserves to go jail for a long time and have this case thrown out, and that police should be more professional in their administration of the law and not take extra "shots" at suspects who are already subdued. These thoughts don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think one can reasonably hold both views here: that carjacking is despicable and this guy deserves to go jail for a long time and have this case thrown out, and that police should be more professional in their administration of the law and not take extra "shots" at suspects who are already subdued. These thoughts don't seem mutually exclusive to me.
    I agree with Eastside.

I feel no sympathy for the criminal, but at the same time we need our cops to be law abiding. It's not their job to dish out street justice.

I'm not even totally convinced that excessive force was used in this case, the video wasn't very conclusive to me. I just don't agree with the "Let the cops beat them" mindset.

This is America, we have laws, rules, and processes.

This guy needs to get a "go fund me" campaign rolling...

He is after all a "Victim of Circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Agree too. While it seems likely this perp is a POS and will deservedly be convicted, he is innocent until that point in time.

To take glee in some cop illegally teeing off on him might make some feel good but it is bad both for the law and the governments who hire these rogue cops when the day comes, as it has many times, when they mistakenly assault the truly innocent person.

Impoverished cities like the City of Detroit, and in this case Highland Park, have paid tens of millions of dollars in police misconduct settlements.

They can not afford a penny more for such needless behavior. We will already likely pay $30-40K a year to punish this suspect, now we have to pay thousands to defend against his case with all the legal costs, lost wages for police testimony and more and maybe the outside chance he may even win.

This didn't need to happen from all I can see. What a waste.