Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I was really...bugged by this story[[so sorry for the bad pun).
    I take a bus into the city at least twice a month for one reason or another&can't help but worry a bit about riding now. What should those of us who use the bus[[Smart&DDOT)do to be a bit proactive given this latest story?
    Initially I thought I'd take a can of repellent with me to spray a seat before I sat down. I decided not to do that as I can see where that might cause an unneccessary problem with my fellow riders. Then I thought I'd spray my clothing down before&after boarding a bus. However I don't know if that's safe for me personally. What should we riders do to try&prevent bringing unwanted guests into our homes after taking a ride on a bus?
    On another note something else irritated me about the bed bug story on DDOT buses. I fear more than a few will use this as another slur on the city of Detroit.This will somehow turn into another good reason why Detroit should be avoided at all costs. I hope I'm wrong but given the feelings many here in the Metro area have about Detroit I'm almost sure it's coming
    I'd appreciate any useful information you all may have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    On another note something else irritated me about the bed bug story on DDOT buses. I fear more than a few will use this as another slur on the city of Detroit.This will somehow turn into another good reason why Detroit should be avoided at all costs. I hope I'm wrong but given the feelings many here in the Metro area have about Detroit I'm almost sure it's coming
    Trotwood, I would not take this personally. Consider that clothing stores in New York City have been shut down and fumigated because bedbugs attached themselves to the inventory, and created problems for employees and customers. It's an epidemic certainly not unique to Detroit, and bedbugs are tenacious insects and notorious hitch-hikers. They've also created quite a problem for the hotel industry nationwide and beyond, so this is not strictly a Detroit thing!

Quote Originally Posted by thecarl View Post
    Trotwood, I would not take this personally. Consider that clothing stores in New York City have been shut down and fumigated because bedbugs attached themselves to the inventory, and created problems for employees and customers. It's an epidemic certainly not unique to Detroit, and bedbugs are tenacious insects and notorious hitch-hikers. They've also created quite a problem for the hotel industry nationwide and beyond, so this is not strictly a Detroit thing!

Thecarl I appreciate you responding. I'm not taking it personally lol but I know the mindset of some here in the Metro area.All to often something like this is used as a pole to bash Detroit proper. While I no longer live in Detroit I'm beyond tired&angry at the constant Detroit bashing.
    I'm so very glad you mentioned NY. I well remember hearing of that city's brush[[battle?)with bedbugs.
    So these bugs aren't hikers,at least not as bad as I've made them out to be in my worried imagination?
    Thanks so much Thecarl

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I was really...bugged by this story[[so sorry for the bad pun).
    I take a bus into the city at least twice a month for one reason or another&can't help but worry a bit about riding now. What should those of us who use the bus[[Smart&DDOT)do to be a bit proactive given this latest story?
    At risk of making you paranoid,
    Do you hang your coat in a common area at work that comes in contact with others coats?
    Do other people sit in your chair at work?
    Do you sit on chairs sat in by others?
    Do you brush up against other people?
    Do you buy clothes?

Bedbugs are akin to ticks, you pick them up from where ever they happen to be, and spread them around.

Alex.